T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone contacted me and asked if I did formal classes or private lessons. I don't do either, but I'd be up for doing some private lessons. I would either have the guy come for a day and I just teach him stuff then ramble on while I keep working, or have him come in at night for a more organized lesson.
But my question is this, has anyone done private lessons at their shop, and if so, how much did you charge?
My first thought was $20 an hour, but that may be too high, or it may be appropriate given how much I know now and how much knowledge I could depart to this student.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
103 Posts
$20 per hour doesn't seem outrageous to me. You could potentially pay more than that on Learning @ Your Own Pace® - lynda.com (but you can't ask questions with video learning). The best thing about teaching someone else is that they look at things from a totally different perspective. This always makes me think. And it always makes my work that much better. Good luck. :)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I haven't done it myself, but I know of several shops in my area that do.

Going rate here (on the other side of the world, so may or may not be relevant) is $20-$25/hr (and up), but that's generally for a class size of 3-10. For 1 on 1 tutorage you'd definitely expect to pay more.

That said... you've never done this before. So I think $20/hr is a good rate to start out with while you learn to teach. If you like it, you can offer more structured classes in future with a set (higher) price.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've been approached by this before many times, and thought about doing it since they will pay someone one way or another, but I do not feel comfortable training a potential competitor our "secrets."

Does sound like pretty good money.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Individual classes are generally more expensive - specially if it you take time off of your normal schedule - be it during buss hrs or off of buss hrs.
I've done this before and have actually charged:
Art and color seps classes: $75/hr and took a full day
Screeen making/screen printing Manual: $50.00/hr and used a full day
Automatic printing: $50/hr and used 2 days.
All those "days" where 6 hrs long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts