T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently used some emulsion that has been sitting non-refrigerated for about 3 months. It's SPS ex1 emulsion. I coated 6 screens so far and have only been able to use one because all the others have washed out the design (as in underexposure, but i am using the same exposure time and even tried over exposing with the same result) and had these "streaks" of easy to wash out and hard to wash out areas, one washed out and looked like i had dripped emulsion remover on it (which i didnt).

Should I throw out the emulsion, or could it be something else?

Thanks!

-Nicole

· Registered
2,152 Posts
I'd just point out that if you have streaks that are easy to wash out, and some that aren't, you may be coating unevenly, or perhaps the diazo wasn't properly mixed initially. I think it depends on the emulsion, as well--I got nine months (refrigerated) out of a batch back when I was playing around in school--not to say it behaved well near the end of that period... :)

If you got one screen to work, you've proven it can still work, if you are controlling your variables. With less than optimal equipment, it may not be worth your time to try, however.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I used the emulsion 3 months ago it was fine, so I don't think it was mixed unevenly. I could have coated unevenly but this type of thing happened on 5 of the screens so I doubt it. The one I did manage to use wasn't even that great, it still had the streaks but they were in an area outside the image so I used the screen anyways.

Thanks for your help! I coated the screens again with brand new emulsion and they are drying now, I will let you know what happens.

-Nicole

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well like I said, that one was still a bad screen. There were streaks on it and it washed out way too easily, but the image was only thick letters so i managed to use it anyways because the streaks were in a different area. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.