T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a ton of screens, but most have nothing written on them to tell me what their mesh count is. is there a way to figure it out just by looking at it? or some other way?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The old style way is to count threats with a folding 'linen tester'. Count threads with a pointed device like a throwing dart or a sharp pencil so your eye won't lose your place.

When you get bored with that, contact your screen printing supplier and get a mesh counter. It is printer plastic with very fine lines that moire and create a 'star' that shows you what the mesh count is.

#RGmeshcount

Reactions: red514

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
When you get bored with that, contact your screen printing supplier and get a mesh counter. It is printer plastic with very fine lines that moire and create a 'star' that shows you what the mesh count is.

Would this meshcounter work with all types of mesh including multi-filament meshes?
Also wondering about what PositiveDave mentioned about stretched mesh, does that or the tension also make a difference on how accurate the meshcounters reading is. I'd like to try on out, my main contact supplier doesn't have one of these so i've asked some of our print shops to contact their suppliers for one.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Would this meshcounter work with all types of mesh including multi-filament meshes?
Also wondering about what PositiveDave mentioned about stretched mesh, does that or the tension also make a difference on how accurate the meshcounters reading is. I'd like to try on out, my main contact supplier doesn't have one of these so i've asked some of our print shops to contact their suppliers for one.
If you are still using multi-filament mesh, I will pray for you.

Yes, you will get a moire from multi-filament mesh.

Mesh on the bolt will measure differently than mesh under tension.

Linen loupes should be available at photography, art or screen printing suppliers. Any magnifying glass will work.

If you wait for somebody else to buy stuff for you, you won't learn much and they will make you leave it when you quit.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
If you are still using multi-filament mesh, I will pray for you.

Yes, you will get a moire from multi-filament mesh.

Mesh on the bolt will measure differently than mesh under tension.

Linen loupes should be available at photography, art or screen printing suppliers. Any magnifying glass will work.

If you wait for somebody else to buy stuff for you, you won't learn much and they will make you leave it when you quit.
thanks again for the helpful info Richard!

i was asking about the multi filament mesh because i just received samples of the mesh they are using at one of our over seas manufacturers... only they don't know the actual mesh size. all the samples they've sent are white mesh and i don't think any of these are higher then 160 :(

i do have a light loop, guess i'll spend the time counting threads :p

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
You count 1/4 or 1/2 an inch and multiply. I'm sure Cosmex has a mesh counter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts