T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this is a common topic, but I am wondering how many designs would be good to start with. I have two finished designs, and I have a graphic designer working on two more. I am wondering if I should start with the two designs, or should I wait until the next ones are done?

I have already been planning the launch for 9 months, so I am getting a little antsy. I just don't want to mess up the launch.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Personally I think the four would make a much stronger showing than the two.

·
Registered
487 Posts
We waited for almost a year and a half to even put up our website with designs on it. If you want to come out swingin' (ha ha Greg) then, don't even launch until you have a number of designs. We started with 25. IMO, you should launch with designs you're happy with, as well as, give an impression, that you're not just some small time t-shirt line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Although I'm new here, I would start with what you have and add a link to have people sign up to be notified regarding future design releases. I personally feel in a design type business, your forever upgrading, re-designing and editing existing things to keep them current. Not only do you notify them, but also do newsletters once a month with upcoming items.
JMHO
Lacey

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Sorry, forgot to clarify: Are you doing retail (direct to customer) or wholesale (to stores) or both? Is $2,000 your budget for just producing the shirts, or your overall budget for starting your business, including marketing, etc?

Also, have you had any feedback yet on your designs? I would definitely recommend it. It's much better to start with fewer, stronger designs than a large number of weak ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm starting with direct to customer. $2,000 is my entire budget. (at least for now)

I have had a lot of feedback on the designs, and it has been all positive.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I'm starting with direct to customer. $2,000 is my entire budget. (at least for now)
Ah. In that case, I would probably say start with your 2 strongest designs.. it's not as much fun as starting with 4 but hopefully you won't go broke before you start to get money back in.

I'm assuming you'll sell via the internet? I'd put aside at least half of that for building a good website (unless you have a genius web designer buddy who works for free, or something like that).

And marketing, marketing, marketing. Plain and simple, it takes a lot of it to get a new retail brand off the ground and get those sales coming in. If you don't invest in that you're not going to be able to sell your shirts no matter how many designs you have.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have set up at an even one time. I had a few of my own designs and I also bought several already made heat transfers from Proworldinc.com to have other designs. It seemed to work. I sold both mine and the already designed ones. Just try to find some transfers that fit your style or are like your other designs.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I would feel more comfortable with four, if they are going to be in a web site. A website with only two designs, even if they are really good, will look kind of empty.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Fail forward Fast.

Stop waiting for things to be perfect or you will be waiting forever. Yeah it would be great to have more t-shirts but that doesn't mean you can't start putting in the work to build your online store so when you actually have all the designs printed you will have everything you need to succeed. Sure you will get comments like "you need more designs" but you already new that and you're working on it.

I think the most unproductive thing you could do is sit around and wait. Get to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts