T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

wanna use some handwritten designs for t-shirt designs. now I wanna "bring them on a pc". All those designs must be redrawn with illustrator/photoshop isn't it?!

also wanna know, how this will used by?! Do I need a designer tablet to redraw the designs or what kind of equipement should I use?!

thx very much for your help

· Registered
328 Posts
You could use a scanner and import into a drawing program, then trace them, is this what you are asking?

you would not need a tablet, but would need to have skill in drawing with the software or you could hire someone to do it for you. there are some here that may be able to help you.

hey guys

wanna use some handwritten designs for t-shirt designs. now I wanna "bring them on a pc". All those designs must be redrawn with illustrator/photoshop isn't it?!

also wanna know, how this will used by?! Do I need a designer tablet to redraw the designs or what kind of equipement should I use?!

thx very much for your help

· Registered
307 Posts
You could simply work in photo shop if it's full color, having shading and gradients.
Make adjustments till you are satisfied, then do your separations.

If it's line art, or simple multi color with no shading or gradients:

What I do with hand drawings that are simply line art is take them in to photoshop and adjust levels and contrast to get the darkest/cleanest lines possible...

Then, work the MEDIAN FILTER to smooth any jagged or funky lines.

Then, take it into Illustrator and LIVE TRACE it.
(If line art, use Black and White Logo - If multi color, use color image, then use the number of colors: ie, 4-5-6-8-10 whatever)
Keep in mind that if it is very busy, Illustrator is going to smash on your computer tracing all the colors to paths.
That is why I won't even attempt shaded or gradient stuff in Illustrator.

This will give you a vector image.

Then you can go from there and make any necessary tweaks.

Bottom line, they both have their benefits, and both have their downfalls....

BUT... I'm no guru with Photoshop or Illustrator. I do well enough for myself and the work I do.

I know there are some guys that are absolute Illustrator gurus that are sick fast with doing it all by hand drawing/tracing over the existing art with paths from scratch. Especially with a tablet.

But, if you have Photoshop and Illustrator, you could give these methods a shot and see how it pans out for u.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.