T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am considering the possibility of offering a commission on t-shirt sales in return for the use of original design work. I would be interested to hear if anyone else is doing this and how they managed to iron out any issues.
My initial thoughts would be that the designer retains their copyright on the image and that I only receive a reproduction right but on an exclusive basis for t-shirt use.
The designer would receive full credit for the design and links to their website.
As to percentage for commission, I thought around 10%.
I would love to get some feedback on this as I feel it has potential but obviously could also have a lot of potential problems.

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looking at this thread a funny idea got into my mind....i have been trying for the past 6 month to imprint for myself some tshirt but the fact that i have to imprint at least 100 pieeces for a single picture to optain a good price keep my thought down.So while reading this thread a sparkling idea rise....to colaborate with people like Paul and one of the terms of colaboration to be that the printer to give my beside 10% from sale the posibility to buy tshirts on production costs.
What do you think Paul...?Could be this a "potential problem" you mentioned.?
I am open to start a colaboration to any others who thing this is a good idea of bussines colaboration.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....to colaborate with people like Paul and one of the terms of colaboration to be that the printer to give my beside 10% from sale the posibility to buy tshirts on production costs.
Barkone
Thanks for replying. I was, strangely enough, looking at your website a few hours ago before starting this thread.
Not quite sure what you mean by the quote above. Can you explain what you mean by 'buy tshirts on production costs'?
Regards
Paul

·
10,512 Posts
I thought around 10%.
I think 10% is too low, and a lot of designers are reluctant to work with commission models because of trust issues, but in theory the idea could be made to work with the right people.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lewis, Jasonda... Thank you very much for the feedback. I take your point, I really had no idea as to a fair commission so I'll do a bit more research. Do you have any suggestions as to what would be a reasonable percentage?
Thanks again for the feedback, this kind of help is really appreciated.
Regards
Paul

·
10,512 Posts
Do you have any suggestions as to what would be a reasonable percentage?
I'd start with either a small retainer, or advance against royalties (the later might suit this situation better, just make sure they understand how it works if you go with that), and then offer royalties from there.

Part of the problem is that while the dollar amount that 10% represents may be fair, 10% just sounds low. 15% sounds a lot better. (still less than VAT ;)). 20%-25% net sounds about right to me (which admittedly is probably close to 10% gross), but it does depend on the artwork, what each of you had to do, etc. You don't want to offer them a percentage of net though, because then there are even more trust issues (the question of 'How are you defining costs' comes into it).

So I guess what I'm saying is 15% off the top is the lowest number that doesn't sound stingy. If you make a separate cash payout (so the percentage becomes a bonus) you could lower that, obviously.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lewis
Thank you very much for the guidance. I am just trying to get established and going the whole eco / ethical route, so at the present up front payments would be very difficult as I don't have the cash flow.
I do take your point though, I will need to increase the percentage somewhat to attract designers. It will have to be carefully worked out and budgeted, so I guess I've got some sums to do.
Once again, thanks for taking the time to help me out. I am very grateful.

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can you explain what you mean by 'buy tshirts on production costs'?
To make a tshirt involve a cost per tshirt to produce it.For example the tee will cost 5$ the imprint 2$ the label 0.50$ etc etc.The production cost is the sum of all that without your profit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To make a tshirt involve a cost per tshirt to produce it.For example the tee will cost 5$ the imprint 2$ the label 0.50$ etc etc.The production cost is the sum of all that without your profit.
Hi Barkone
So, if I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that the artist could also have the opportunity to purchase the printed T's at cost to sell themselves as well as a percentage on the sales from the printer.
It's an interesting thought that hadn't occured to me... definately worth some consideration.
Thanks for replying.

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
103 Posts
Anyway , i want to thank you for your thread, cause ive got already 4 more offers from other viewers.

Best regards,
Adrian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts