T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Discuss the T-ShirtForums T-Shirt Design Contest here :)

You can check out the details of the contest here:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=2882
(be sure to vote on a t-shirt color)

Please send your entries as JPG previews to [email protected] (keep the source vector/psd/eps/ai/high res/ file on your computer until the winner is named).

The JPGs will be posted on the site anonymously and voted on for one week. After a week, the winner will be selected. Limit one entry per member, so submit your best stuff :)

·
2,957 Posts
How will submissions take place? Will we be able to see the name of the forum member with the submission?

I don't know if it's possible, or how you plan to do it, but I think it would be a good idea if each submission was assigned a number and other members couldn't see who actually submitted it.

I think this would eliminate people not voting for a particular design based on whether or not they don't like a particular member, but solely based on the merits of the design.

I think it's a great contest. How and where do we submit?!

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Greg, thanks for jumping in there. Good questions and suggestion.

Let's keep things anonymous until the winning design is named :)

Please send your entries as JPG previews to [email protected] (keep the source vector/psd/eps/ai/high res/ file on your computer until the winner is named).

The JPGs will be posted on the site anonymously and voted on for one week. After a week, the winner will be selected.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I don't know if this will be relevant, but...

Regarding the poll for the t-shirt colour (and I guess the design when those are ready for voting) - first past the post voting systems suck, which concerns me a little. For example, of the four colours to vote on I wear two, can tolerate one, and would never wear the other. You potentially end up with a situation where 40% vote for 1 colour, and 20% for each of the other three, but those 60% would rather any colour but the one that wins.

It's possible that there'll be overwhelming support for a certain colour, but if not... should there be a second poll on the top two colours? Likewise a couple of rounds of voting on the t-shirt design to narrow it down?

Maybe it's just growing up in Australia that does this to me, but I hate non-preferential voting systems.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For example, of the four colours to vote on I wear two, can tolerate one, and would never wear the other. You potentially end up with a situation where 40% vote for 1 colour, and 20% for each of the other three, but those 60% would rather any colour but the one that wins.
That's sort of the idea for the poll. To get a general idea of which ones people are "most likely" to wear. If there are ones that the members just would NOT wear, then those would likely have the least amount of votes.

I was actually planning on just printing them on black t-shirts to keep things simple, but then I thought a choice between 2 would be nice. I added the white/brown at the last minute because the default poll options were 4 :)

It's like a multiple choice test with one correct answer and some that are "kinda" correct, but not really. You have to choose the "best" answer for you.

Likewise a couple of rounds of voting on the t-shirt design to narrow it down?
Good point about narrowing down the designs. If it's a landslide, it probably won't be necessary. If the votes are more evenly spread, we can look into narrowing down the options.

They're just giveaways, so I don't want to make it "too" serious :)

I guess they could conceivably end up on eBay as collectors items someday ;)

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would prefer to have the t-shirtforums.com logo in it. But I'm not totally married to the idea. If your design can stand on its own without it, then feel free to just use the t-shirtforums.com text.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jdr8271 said:
Could you put up the t-shirtforums logo for download so that we can include it in our designs?
Sure thing, I'll attach the EPS file it to this post. Let me know if a different file format would be better.

Also, is there a particular color scheme that you want the imprint colors to be, or can we choose whatever colors we want?
I didn't really have a color scheme in mind, so you can just let your creative juices flow all over it (just be sure to wipe up afterwards :))

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
If there are ones that the members just would NOT wear, then those would likely have the least amount of votes.
It can get a lot more complicated than that - for example, 3 of the shirt colours are dark and 1 light, it's possible some people don't mind what colour it is, but won't wear a dark/light shirt, so votes are scattered around the dark shirts (since there are several) but concentrated on the lights (since there's only one).

However,

1) You're right, I'm taking this way too seriously
2) There haven't been any votes for white at all
3) Only six people have voted

Rodney said:
I was actually planning on just printing them on black t-shirts to keep things simple, but then I thought a choice between 2 would be nice. I added the white/brown at the last minute because the default poll options were 4 :)
Heh, fair enough.

I think black is probably the most uncontroversial colour as it happens.

Rodney said:
Good point about narrowing down the designs. If it's a landslide, it probably won't be necessary. If the votes are more evenly spread, we can look into narrowing down the options.
Sounds like the best way to do it. If one design is clearly far better than all the rest there's no point wasting time. The biggest problem is that if there aren't many votes they'll be scattered fairly evenly (each person casting one vote for their own design ;)), but again... I get ahead of things.

Rodney said:
They're just giveaways, so I don't want to make it too serious :)
Come on, you can't get much more life & death than t-shirts! ;)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
...there's also the fact that I'm only bringing this up because there's a poll in place.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with you (Rodney) selecting the design, colour, etc. and doing whatever you want - it's your website, not a democracy. It should be promoted and represented how you want it to be seen.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Solmu said:
Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with you (Rodney) selecting the design, colour, etc. and doing whatever you want - it's your website, not a democracy. It should be promoted and represented how you want it to be seen.
I agree with that as well, and that was my original idea. A few people emailed and contacted me and suggested I hold a design contest, so I said "what the heck".

I'm hardly in this thing by myself, so I think it's great that folks want to contribute. I think it'll make the final design that much more meaningful (if a t-shirt from a forum can be meaningful :)).

I purposely made this contest a lot less "rigid", rules-wise than the Heat Press sweepstakes.

I have big ideas for this place :D There's a lot of potential here to do some interesting things in the t-shirt industry as a group. It'll be interesting to see how folks get involved.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
I agree with that as well, and that was my original idea. A few people emailed and contacted me and suggested I hold a design contest, so I said "what the heck"
You can always veto the public's choice :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Same here. I am not allowed to vote.
Unless, I missed something, I didn't see any rule on who could vote. With only six votes, that's a pretty exclusive club.
Anyway, I vote-- Black.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, thanks for letting me know about the vote problems!

You actually don't need any number of posts to vote (at least you weren't supposed to...all registered members are supposed to be allowed to vote).

Let me check the settings...should be fixed now. Now get to voting! :D

and I was wondering why nobody was voting. my bad guys.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts