T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there
Can someone provide tricks how to place the design correct and straight ?
I need 40 min. for the to position the vinyl to t-shirt!
I have try fold the T-shirt in half ,I find the center but I need to straight the design with the T-shirt
I have try also laser but no luck ...
I need desperate a solution because 40 min. for a design placement is long time.
Thanks a lot

· Registered
781 Posts
I don't believe that there is no solution or someone here that is good in Mathematics
I am great a math...but that is not what we use to line shirts up.
I have shown countless people how to line up a shirt on a press (both screen printing platens as well as heat press platens.

Never thought to make a video showing how we do it, because explaining it in writing is a lot harder.

Here are a few tips...
Some shirts are not made evenly..
Don't use a tape measure or ruler...you will be there all day.
Assuming you have 2 hands and all your fingers...use them to measure.
I can put a shirt on straight and place the design in a matter of a few seconds. But this takes LOTS of practice! If you have the same amount of shirt hanging off each side then its centered...use your fingers to measure the extra shirt hanging off. Use your fingers to measure how much space is to the right and left of the design.
The larger the platen the easier it is to line up on the press.

You can be off a little and no one will ever notice...remember your making T shirts...not artificial hearts...real close is fine. You will get speed over time...it takes a couple 100 shirts to get a good routine going and then its a piece of cake and you will wonder why everyone else takes so long lol.

I am sure someone will offer you great advice as to how to do this better then i can explain right now.

Reactions: into the T

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't believe that there is no solution or someone here that is good in Mathematics
I am great a math...but that is not what we use to line shirts up.
I have shown countless people how to line up a shirt on a press (both screen printing platens as well as heat press platens.

Never thought to make a video showing how we do it, because explaining it in writing is a lot harder.

Here are a few tips...
Some shirts are not made evenly..
Don't use a tape measure or ruler...you will be there all day.
Assuming you have 2 hands and all your fingers...use them to measure.
I can put a shirt on straight and place the design in a matter of a few seconds. But this takes LOTS of practice! If you have the same amount of shirt hanging off each side then its centered...use your fingers to measure the extra shirt hanging off. Use your fingers to measure how much space is to the right and left of the design.
The larger the platen the easier it is to line up on the press.

You can be off a little and no one will ever notice...remember your making T shirts...not artificial hearts...real close is fine. You will get speed over time...it takes a couple 100 shirts to get a good routine going and then its a piece of cake and you will wonder why everyone else takes so long lol.

I am sure someone will offer you great advice as to how to do this better then i can explain right now.
Thanks a lot for your advice! I still need the magic way for amateur to make the placement ! I try what you said but still I am afraid that the design is center but not straight! If you can make a video I will be glad!! P.s I have made about 50 T-shirt and 10 T-shirt was a placement disaster!

· Registered
37 Posts
I like to start (with a new design) by printing it on clear film, cutting it out and placing it on a shirt to determine the best location for the design.

Once that is done, place the shirt with the film on the press to give yourself a visual reference of how it should look. This will show you the proper spacing from the top and each side.

No all you have to do is place the blank shirt on the press the same way each time (finger method from previous post), and you should be in business.

· Registered
4,277 Posts
this quote is from this thread (may help you to see that design):

i agree, that is the font

once the moose is on the tee, the vinyl is just an eyeball
you'll be surprised how quickly you get accurate

me personally, i would simply align the second 'o' in moose in between the two upper points of the antler
would not even need a ruler

for centering the moose, i would put it as close to final position as you see it,
measure down from collar for vertical distance
then measure from far right edge of nose to the right-side seam,
and do the same from the far left edge of back foot to the left-side seam
boom, centered moose in ~20 secs, the vinyl lettering would be done in under 5 secs

if you are worried about it being not straight,
you can measure from the bottom of the two outside feet to the bottom seam
or if you have your tee nicely centered on the bottom platen then use a large plastic triangle (drafting tool, staples/office depot/etc.),
and use the edge of the platen on one straight edge of the triangle and the other place under the feet
if the feet line-up with the edge, then it is good to go

EDIT to Add: for full front designs,
i also measure from the two points (left and right) where there shoulder seam meets the collar seam straight down to the top of the design
then if these two measurements match it is straight

another option is to print a thin black line square around the moose about 1/2" around
center it to the moose and print it off with the moose
cut the jpss off just inside the square, weed your moose
now you you have something with long defined edges, making it easier to measure/center (even visually)

i find a cheap plastic ruler woks best for the measuring, light and easy to move around with no fear of possibly tearing the fabric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.