T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I don't know how long it's really been going on, but today I did a three color that had butt registration and the films lined up properly but the screens didn't, leaving a gap between the colors that isn't in the artwork or on the films. Dennis at Westix said it could be because I'm burning too long, but I reduced my burning time 33% and it still occurred.
Does anyone have any ideas why this happens? I have a Hix tt180 table top exposure unit with a vacuum lid, print my films with an Epson 3000, and the screens in question today were 160 mesh.
Any ideas would be great. I did the print run today, but it didn't look perfect because of this problem...

· Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They didn't shrink. I lined up the films after the print run was all done... Maybe my vacuum blanket isn't holding things down perfectly? That'd be crappy but I assume I could fix it. I'll call westix about it tomorrow. I need to do a 4color soon and it has to be perfect, very picky customer.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

· Registered
29 Posts
Try putting a flat board with a weight over the image your trying to burn so that the screen is flush to the film and exposure unit. The board should fit inside the screen on top of your exposure blanket. Double check your screens, if your using wood screens they could be warped
letting light in between the film and the screen.lol

· Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The screens are not use. It's an exposure unit with a vacuum blanket so Jeff's proposal doesn't really make sense. I just put a screen in and turned on the vacuum to make sure the rubber blanket is held down as tight as possible, and it is.
The problem is that the stencils are being created smaller than the design is on the film so they don't butt properly.

· Registered
128 Posts
Hey, yikes sounds like screen tensions may be different, or off contact, or press regerstration,...or the list goes on... a little more info might help...is the prob in all diminsions or??does one platen print diff than others or not...jeff

· Registered
17 Posts
Are you shooting emulsion to emulsion? In other words is the side of the film with the image on it contacting your screen? If it's not then the thickness of the film can get the light to scatter enough to cause this. Also, yellow or white mesh?

· Registered
17 Posts
Could maybe then be the white mesh. Have you always used white mesh and if so is has this always been an issue? Yellow mesh will increase exposure time a bit but your images will be more accurate.

Other than that, not sure. Everyone else has covered the other possible causes.

Is the image actually shrunk on the screens or just when you print?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.