T-Shirt Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folk I am talking about one design from billabong that some guy wants me to change, from an elefante to a rhino just change the animals will have the same look, I have done all ready, but i am think about not to delivery the art. So that is the question: what is ilegal? make? or sell the tees?
he said look at the england flag and australia flag they just change a little bit and is ok....Look like a dumb question......but I am new here..

·
Registered
302 Posts
It's not a dumb question and you were very smart to look for advice before acting. No matter who says what in response to your question (including me) don't act on their advice unless their advice is to seek out a lawyer for an official answer.

Him using the flags of two countries as an example is simply his way of justifying what he wants you to do, it's also comparing apples and oranges.

I had a difficult time understanding your post. Is this a single t-shirt he wants you to make for only for him? Or is this design going to be part of a line?

When it comes to images and copyrights/trademarks, my simple rule is that if you have to question it then you probably shouldn't do it. Don't do anything that is going to get you in trouble, go talk to a lawyer.

·
Registered
302 Posts
master design said:
is an art for line t-shirts
Yeh, it's probably not a good idea to modify a well-known logo and try to sell it as your own but then again I'm not a lawyer. It just seems like common sense would say it's a no-no.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont make t-shirts but i will. If i buy blank tees, pay someone to print, sell on ebay, amazon.com and my own website is better them sell arts. I have great ideas to advertise my brand. I still make some arts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no name like billabong the only thing inside de art is a rhino and the word savage and wild that I changed too

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's a tough call like all copyright issues. Personally, I think you'd be ok if you're changing almost all of the elements, but I'd have to see the two designs side by side. But, I think modifying a design for a t-shirt line is a bad move anyway, unless it's some sort of parody shirt.

·
Registered
302 Posts
identityburn said:
... unless it's some sort of parody shirt.
And even the parody shirts can get you in trouble. Bustedtees.net was saying how he had a couple parody shirts (one was Burger King I think?) that he had to remove because he got letters from those companies.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I agree with Jason. There is not such rule as the old 20% Rule people always mention. If you can sit your copy and the original in front of a jury and they see a huge likeness, your infringing. Plain and simple. Its another thing to get ides but to pretty much copy, especially for another T-Shirt line, I would stay away. Billabong is a huge identity to borrow from. They may come after you if they notice the shirt.

Usually you will get a cease and desist letter first. Some go stright for the juggler so its best to CYA.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the best thing to do, is think something fresh, but how about us army logo, marines and navy? people make bush tees, some are too bad,there is people breaking the law? taking risk? If these big company don`t pay copyright . who knows? Out there is people like us that design for big company My best friend is one of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.