T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, I have a question on adobe photoshop. I am an artist, and do alot of my own designs, scan them and clean them up on photoshop. is the a trick or tool to out line the design (sketch) and clean the design up with smooth crisp lines?? Like tracing over. I have been doing it all by hand with the pencile tool or bush, even tried posterizing it. any help would be great thanks scott

·
Registered
119 Posts
The pen tool will give you a vector path. Or if you something quick you could use the color selection tool and then select > modify > smooth

Or various other techniques. Another approach is to draw with a sharpie and then auto trace in illustrator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's what I do.

1. Scan your drawing and put into ps.
2. select with the eyedropper tool the color of your sketch
3. Under the menu hit select> color range >sampled color
4. Hit inverse under the select menu and hit delete.
Now you should only have the sketch, the background should be completely gone (this works better then magic wand)
5. The sketch may not be dark/clear enough so go over to the layer menu, and duplicate the layer a few times (ctrl+ J) Then you can merge the layers (Ctrl+Shift+E)
6. If you still need the sketch to be darker then you can either go to Filters >Sharpen > Sharpen, or try changing the darkness (ctrl + U)

Once you have it how you want it, put the sketch into Illustrator, live trace and start coloring!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
130 Posts
For the cleanest possible look I would suggest learning to use the pen tool. Getting a Wacom Tablet would be good too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
For the cleanest possible look I would suggest learning to use the pen tool. Getting a Wacom Tablet would be good too.
I would add to that a copy of Adobe Illustrator or similar vector graphics program. The time you invest to learn how to draw using the pen, pencil and brush tools with a tablet will be well worth it in the long run. Best of all, your art will be resolution-independent, so you can make it any size once it's finalized, from shirt-pocket logo to side of a barn. (Well, a barn made from cotton, anyway.)

Photoshop is not a "drawing" program. How it came to be seen as one is beyond me. Get yourself a tablet and some vector software, and you will truly be drawing, as natural as can be, but without the crumpled paper and white-out. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
After you scan duplicate the layers and set the mode to multiply.

Merge down and adjust using levels & curves.

this will clean it up a bit, but depending on how you want the quality of the final line work, going over the lines with the brush tool and using a wacom would work best.

Using a illustrator will get you a vector result, and photoshop a more natural raster feel.

Fastest way is to draw it straight digitally.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The pen is a great tool; however, it's a little difficult to get used to and takes a fair amount of time.

Consider using the magic wand at an appropriate tolerance. Then you can modify the selection (expand/contract/smooth). It's very easy and fast...and may be a quick and dirty solution.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For what your doing. Adobe illustrator is the best tool. First save your image as a jpg or some supported file. Basically open a new document. For example rgb. Do "place in" under file. After it comes in. Press live trace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If its just a gray scale image I would suggest doing an initial clean up with the levels adjustment. Play with the sliders to clip the black & white in and out points. (cmd + L) That should get rid of alot of the smudge/muddiness of sketches. From there I think it kind of depends on your output.

If you need it to be much larger and refine it bring that into Illustrator, or another native vector program, to outline it and give it crisp lines.

Or if you only need your raster image as output, you can go in by hand and touch up from there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts