T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This probably belongs in the design forum, but I'm really looking for screen printing advice. I've 'lurked' here for months, learned a lot, implemented alot of your advice/tactics. I really enjoy screen printing - it affords me some creativity, and a little cash to improve my equipment.

My questions is regarding a t-shirt image.

<please see attached image - it is only a quick example> I want a black shirt, 1 color screen print (white). For simplicity, I want to make 1 screen - I'm thinking that I need to print the skull/wings portion of the image with a halftone, and the letter in spot.

Will this work? Am I over-complicating this? I could sure use your advice on how to do this (standard way?).

Thanks.

Terry

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The effect I'm going for is a faded print 'in the background' - behind the text. So, with that in mind, do you still feel that I need two colors? I was hoping to print with only 1 to save costs. I am the designer, printer, and seller on this particular shirt (for my band), so I'm willing to make some sacrifices in the design.

Any other ideas to consider?

·
Registered
77 Posts
You will be able to get the effect you're looking for to an extent using white for the wings on a 230+ mesh for a grayscale look.

If it's important that the sample text part is opaque and solid, you may be correct to use another screen (156 mesh).
If you keep them together, you'll either have to sacrifice opacity of the text, or detail on the halftone.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm.... good point. This, I need to consider, as I want the text to really jump off the background.

2 swipes on a halftone screen will probably be a mess, huh? ...with my table-top, non micro, SSS.com, 4 station press.

Glad I asked.

If it's important that the sample text part is opaque and solid, you may be correct to use another screen (156 mesh).
If you keep them together, you'll either have to sacrifice opacity of the text, or detail on the halftone.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I would open the Skull/wings in Photoshop, at the size you want to print, 100 dpi.
The black in your sample should be transparent or white.
Convert to grayscale, then to bitmap.
Select Dither
Save as a .tiff

Place the tiff in Illustrator and lay your solid text over the tiff.
(If you want a softer/grayer skull, use the levels or map in photoshop and lighten the image BEFORE creating the bitmap.)

Use a 230 screen, thin out the white ink with a little curable reducer.
This will give you a soft hand, and the white will have a little gray tone on a black shirt.

The art on the left will look like this with cut white ink on a purple shirt. I'm printing this tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to get a screened burned last night on 205 mesh with both the halftone and text (on same scren). I'm going to do some testing tonight. ....although I'm not expecting much.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Just a follow-up.

This is what the printed shirt looks like. (Customer changed T color)

The heart area was printed light to have a distressed look. The picture doesn't show the affect well. It looks like a dry first pass with white.

This is a 230 screen, Wilflex Tiger White with a little curable reducer.
One pull printing, no flood coat.

The text is a dither .tiff at about 30% gray. The text picks up the shirt color and create a second color appearance.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts