T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some feedback on a new design on our site - "Cleaning Ladies, They're Neat!". At first I thought it was hilarious, now I'm having second thoughts. I just put it up so take a look and let me know what you think!

www.tshirthub.com

I would appreciate comments on my other designs as well. My shirts, although I get positive feedback from friends and family (how nice of them...) don't fall into the 'crude' category that I see alot of companies selling. Not sure if I'm heading down the right path with these designs. Looking for some constructive criticism so have at it!

Thanks,

Mike

www.tshirthub.com

·
Registered
192 Posts
I like the fact that your designs don't fall into the crude category, as that genre seems a bit crowded (yeah - I'm going to get reprimanded on that one due to the theoretical numbers of the buyer demographic online rendering my point moot). The Cleaning Ladies design leaves me puzzled as my brain can't decide if it's a dig at them or not. I like the randomness of the monster truck/potato design in terms of what it means (ie - I completely do not get it: uh, monster trucks, potatoes?). The blimp design is pretty funny. I interpreted that as a dig against the whole pimping fashion/life-style culture, complete with white suburban kids wearing their hats rotated 23% degrees from traditional orientation, tacky gold chains, and their pants crotches down around their knees. Anything that pokes fun at that should be honored and bowed to. The buoy in the Yeah Buoy design looks more like a popsicle than a buoy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Honey,

Cleaning Ladies are both neat, and neat (clean......because they clean.). I think the more random the better with t-shirts. I've put alot of thought into some designs w/ not much response. A great example of the randomness is the "i like potatoes" shirt. Makes no sense but people get a giggle out of it. Sales are not that bad either. Working on some new designs. Keep checking back and thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the crude genre - yes it's very hot right now. However - I've read that the tshirthell founder has had attempts on his life (no kidding). Although they're funny, I couldn't be proud of my lively-hood with some of the shirts I've seen out there.

Later - Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
As far as the cleaning lady goes, your site is not currently overcrowded with designs so I say leave it for now and see how it sells. When you get to the point where you need to bump a design for more room, then if it’s not selling drop it. You never know, some cleaning company might buy them for their employees!

Overall I think the site design is OK, displaying 3 or 4 shirts per column seems to be standard with a lot of sites. Personally I prefer sites using models, but I’m not sure how this impacts sales. If I were to tweak your site, I would change the top portion, the part before the main body of shirts, it seems to just run on without any order to it. Using html text in 3 different colors takes the focus away from the shirts and IMO cheapens the look. The same with the menu selections. I would suggest using a design and creating some delineation from the main body of the page.

Regardless of the current trend, I applaud you staying away from the vulgar, especially since most of these are extremely misogynistic. Except for drunken frat boy parties, I really wonder where these shirts are worn.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback and I'm on point with what you're saying about the text and menu. Needs much more work and I'll be getting to that in the near future.

Thanks again - Mike

·
Registered
282 Posts
I like the cleaning lady phrase. BUT, I must say I was taken aback by the ethnic look to the lady. I would suggest a more generic look or white person. I'm a person of color and this may offend. Just an FYI. I like your BUTTA t-shirt. Susan H.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The "Kiss me I'm Polish" shirt threw me at first. I was about ready to correct you, then took one more look and realized what you were saying :)

suzieh said:
I like the cleaning lady phrase. BUT, I must say I was taken aback by the ethnic look to the lady. I would suggest a more generic look or white person. I'm a person of color and this may offend. Just an FYI. I like your BUTTA t-shirt. Susan H.
It's is good to get a variety of feedback. Some things just go right over my head sometimes. I created a design using a playing card and Mr T. The card suit was a spade. No particular reason, it just happened that way. I showed it to a friend who happened to be black, and his reaction was a little hesitant. Then, what was obvious to him finally occurred to me, so I changed it to clubs (he was Clubber Lang afterall, so it fits better).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
suzieh said:
Wow - I never saw that at all. I'll take another look at it - it's modeled after a white person. The flesh tone used by my printer will be the standart Pantone color for a whitey : ), I'll double check the color on my image and maybe I can lighten it up a bit. Thanks for the heads up! I try not to offend anyone, although I get a little feedback on the Polish shirt, people have to have a sense of humor about themselves : ) I'm irish and I think it's hilarous when people call us drunks, etc.....what's the big deal?

Again - thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
honeyflip said:
hey Mike,
Just out of curiosity, where did you read that bit about the t-shirt hell guy?
I googled tshirthell and searched through a bunch of articles on the owner. Someone tried to poison his drink at a bar - he got really sick and almost died I guess. The doctor diagnosed it as a poisoning or something....f**ced up. Search around and you should find the article.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
catscape said:
The "Kiss me I'm Polish" shirt threw me at first. I was about ready to correct you, then took one more look and realized what you were saying :)

It's is good to get a variety of feedback. Some things just go right over my head sometimes. I created a design using a playing card and Mr T. The card suit was a spade. No particular reason, it just happened that way. I showed it to a friend who happened to be black, and his reaction was a little hesitant. Then, what was obvious to him finally occurred to me, so I changed it to clubs (he was Clubber Lang afterall, so it fits better).
Some of your designs are pretty funny. I really like the Mr. T shirt - catchy idea. Good luck with it! Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
25 Posts
From a design point of view I see nothing wrong. Very clean which I like. It's humorous in a dry way but thats not a bad thing. I find designs that convey an idea without using text to be the most apealing. Overall though it's a good shirt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts