T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went an degreased with proper solvent from ryonet about 6 screens and let it dry in the garage with fan on .... (screens were in the open in my garage not in a rack or anything..) I was goiing to coat the screens but it was kind of late so just headed to bed.. Should i degrease again or just coat? i didn't touch it or anything but maybe dust occured and those are nasty for pinholes.. but garage wasn't opened or anything and screens was not touched...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think your good to coat as we do this all the time and it seems fine as we have had no issues.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
A table spoon of Dawn dish washing liquid in a quart of water will degrease just as well.

Reactions: Swagger11

·
Registered
69 Posts
i would at least rinse the screens off again, and depending on the room (how clean it is and dust etc) that would determine if i degrease. and on the dawn soap.. I would not do that. the soap contains some other chemicals in there that arent desirable for screens.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Screens will loose tension far quicker than any harm that will come to them from degreasing with dish washing soap. If you rinse it off well it does nothing to interfere with the emulsion. By the way, what chemicals?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Test if screen is degreased

Degreasing is a minor function compared to making sure the stencil is dry and you completely expose and cure the stencil.

To check if your mesh is clean, pour water on the mesh and see if it forms a smooth sheet of water across the mesh.

Mmmmm.... Smell that lovely fresh Lemons scent from that dishwashing soap?

That's an oil, left on the mesh. Not good. BUT.

Degreasing is overrated
Even if you did leave the oil on the mesh, when you coat the mesh, the oil is trapped inside and can't do any harm.

If I put oil on your arms and then encapsulate your wrist with a watch band or hand-cuffs, they still won't come off when you pull on them.

Now, direct film is another matter. The film will fall off the mesh very easily if something is a barrier to adhesion. If I leave oil on your arm, then spray it with paint, the paint will wash off.

Reactions: JBYoungdahl

·
Registered
911 Posts
Ive just used up the last of my Mr. Clean ... lemon scented lol,
I dilute it heavily and haven't had a problem yet just rinse well after .

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Look, Pat in a pure sense I'm sure your absolutely right. And it was at best poor form to contradict you in such a short way publicly. So... sorry for being a jerk. It just frustrates me that a lot of the money spent doing what we do could be spent better else where (according to me). I'm cynical to a fault, and should not post when I'm tired. :):):):):)

·
Registered
911 Posts
I think you should still degrease tho', whatever you find that works.
I burn when I need detail but mostly use vinyl too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
All I've ever used is Simple Green... over 5 years worth, never had a problem and I expose screens 39" X 49" w/ Ulano 925R and RLX.
Overnight in a closed garage should be fine...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts