T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to use Dye Sublimation with Self Weeding Transfer paper ([media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uByE3UCrcd8[/media]) for who hasnt heared of the paper before.

Now I need help, can ANYONE recommend me a printer and dye sublimation ink. This is my only problem now, I dont know what printer to get and were to get my inks.

Is there a printer that comes with dye sublimation already in the printer?

The reason Im using dye, is because I want to use inkjet for self weeding transfer paper and the only way to currently do this is with dy sublimation.

Thanks for help.

· Registered
2,690 Posts
I think you are getting confused,, dye sub ,inkjet and laser transfers are 3 different cats,,,
Dye sub is not a self weeding paper simply because the ink does not print to a film like inkjet, it prints to paper and then the ink when heated with a heat press turns the ink into gas and basically dyes the material threads,, its only good for man made materials like polyster, so you can't print to sub paper with pigment ink..

So you have to make up your mind what you want to use,,, either inkjet and inkjet transfer paper or sublimation.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see, so if I want to use dye-sub inks, I would require sublimation transfer paper? These two combined would make it self-weeding as you mentioned about gas etc? Sorry for being a big newb.

· Registered
1,801 Posts
"self weeding" is not a term to use with dye sublimation printing, but dye-sublimation paper doesn't require cutting/trimming/weeding. etc as only ink will be transfering onto the shirt.
You will need printer with dye-sublimation ink, sublimation paper and sublimation-friendly substrates.

· Registered
59 Posts
As D.EVO. stated ther is no need for self weeding paper with Dye Sub printing since Dye Sub printing does not use adhesive. The only reason some people trim the paper is in the attempt to minimize press lines in the polyester fabrics we have to use. I have minimized them by using teflon pillows and making sure the paper is larger than the pillow so the edge of the paper is not being pressed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.