T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
vista to 2000prof on a HP....help

short story..

laptop fried...had to get a new one...new one had vista on it, so i kept it...... loaded up cs3 and some other things..... cs3 crashes and vista doesnt support many other programs.... so going back to 2000 professional and getting my updates.......

anyone else change back..... i'm on a laptop with about 1 gig of ram and 100 gig of storage.... need to run autocad/photoshop/itunes

b

edit: can i just format the drive then run my 2000 professional install disk...... newer HP... disk from my dell (2001)....HELP

·
2,957 Posts
I got a new laptop about a month ago myself. Came with Vista.

I'm not liking it much either.

CS3 and CorelDraw crash on me. It's very frustrating. Even regular stuff like Word and stuff will crash!

At first I thought it was pretty cool. It's got some better features, but, I don't think those features outweigh the trouble of stuff crashing all the time.

I've been thinking about dumping it myself.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just dont know how to nuke my system..... i have my 2000professional disk from when i bought my old dell in 2001..... so i'll install that if i can...then get the service pack updates....

think i just have to format the drives and run my install disk..... considering that i'm on a HP now and not a dell, curious if i'll have any issues with hardware ....but then again thats prolly a stupid question....

i need to make a decision soon since i have to load autocad for a possible side job....

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
I see the stories around the forum, problems with Vista. Same things, crashes, compatability issues, blue screen.... Since everything comes with Vista, I decided to order my newest computer from Dell with XP. I think I"ll put off Vista for as long as I can.

I hope it goes okay for you getting back to XP. I know I started a thread for my puter problems trying to fix my older one, and there are some really awesome people on the forum that know all about this stuff. If you have any troubles, I'm pretty sure someone here can help.

They probably won't know if you need *help* in this thread, since it just says "getting rid of vista". Anyone would understand that, lol, from what I've read out there.

But if you find you need help, maybe post a thread or get this one retitled for you saying something like - Need Help going from Vista to XP on an HP. The folks who know will find you then, if you do find yourself needing support.

I found everyone to be a great help, from being able to tell me, and giving me resources that really helped. Again, great bunch here that can't be beat. :)

Good luck to you, 237! :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
i just dont know how to nuke my system..... i have my 2000professional disk from when i bought my old dell in 2001..... so i'll install that if i can...then get the service pack updates....

think i just have to format the drives and run my install disk..... considering that i'm on a HP now and not a dell, curious if i'll have any issues with hardware ....but then again thats prolly a stupid question....

i need to make a decision soon since i have to load autocad for a possible side job....

Having been through this experience recently, I'll give you a few pointers. There's a good likelihood that you'll run into driver issues if you try and use the 2000 disk that came with your Dell. I had a old Dell laptop with XP and when I got my HP with Vista (I'll never use Vista again!) my Dell XP disks created more problems and I had to start from scratch with new XP disks that weren't burned with Dell Drivers. There are a lot of tips on rolling back Vista to XP on the HP Forums. (IT Resource Center forums)

You'll need to first download all the drivers you'll need and get a generic XP or 2000 disk to start with. I was lucky enough that my wife had a set of generic disks she had bought for upgrading her old computer.

I too needed to have Autocad as well as numerous Adobe applications, in addition to Solidworks, etc. Vista is not-read-for-primetime in my opinion. Some people have no issues, I've had tons. It just isn't friendly with many applicaitions. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Vista is sketchy... I don't think you will be able to use your Dell windows 2000 disk... because it checks to make sure its the Dell comp... also when companies like Dell/HP Compaq etc... offer an operating system in their computers... it's not a standalone version... it's setup for them... your best bet is to buy a copy of XP or 2000 if you can find it...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
When Bill Gates introduced the XP range, he stated that would be the last major release of Windows, as it had all the functionality to meet future demands. Vista was brought out solely to boost Microsoft sales.

I have been using Windows XP Professional for quite a long time now and have never felt any need to upgrade to Vista. Many older printers, scanners & some software, will simply not work with Vista and no updated drivers are available.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks folks.... i just need to hunt down a regular version of xp now...... need to get my cad up and running asap ..........

thanks for the help........

b

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your Vista challenges. Definitely back up your data prior to installing any other OS.

You can find lower pricing for a full version of Windows XP on eBay. If you have any DOS experience, you can create yourself a DOS 6.22 Boot disk and reformat your hard drive (along with deleting & re-creating the partition(s)). That's how I prefer to do it when working on Windows PCs, given that I come from the DOS days of prepping a HD for a fresh OS install. ;)

If not that option, you can invest in software like Norton PartitionMagic to help you do the partition creation/deletion and formatting tasks, among many other functions.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
when I bought a new system recently I quickly dumped vista :) It created so many problems with my equipment and software, it was horrible. Every time I would add a new software program or peice of equipment, I would have to search to fix it and it created major problems for me. I still have vista on my dtg computer but that is only because I was able to solve all of my driver problems on there. As far as my laptop, it created so many crashes with certain programs, it got tiring. Good luck with your system.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey, just a thought, but I heard from someone that HP was providing a free licensed copy of XP to all HP laptop purchasers that bought laptops with Vista this past year. How you get it and whether what I heard was true I can't say. But I'd start on the HP website. Better than buying if it's free!! Good luck!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've decided to do the same. I'm just going to buy a new hard drive and install it fresh. Then I'll get a small external usb box to put my old drive in to transfer what I need over to the new XP drive. After I'm sure I'm done with the Vista drive, I'll format it out as an external drive to use as a backup for my main.

I did this for a friend that wanted to switch to Linux and it went great.

·
Registered
29 Posts
kpk703, Microsoft is giving out free versions of XP if you are unhappy with vista. From what I understand, all you have to do is call Microsoft, let them know the problem, and confirm a few numbers and they will send XP free of charge.

I really love vista, BUT, its unpredictable for me. Adobe CS3 crashes all the time for me, and I have alot of problems with getting out of standby mode, which was a common problem that was supposed to be fixed with a simple update.... it wasn't.

I also want to install SP1, but as many people know, Service Packs are know to create HUGE hardware conflicts, and I don't have the time to deal with reinstalling everything I have on my computer.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Bah!

Vista is pretty stable with all the current updates: running it on a 1gig laptop? That's a little close to the edge.....I'd say 2 gig minimum....it's a resource hog.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Vista is sweet and runs great if you have the proper hardware and have it setup properly.

If your having issues then look to the hardware or config... Vista is a very stable platform and works great. As for running older programs... it also has a built in XP compatablity mode as well to run just about anything.

Knocking something because you are not familiar with it is the norm these days.... try learning it and you will love it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Vista is sweet and runs great if you have the proper hardware and have it setup properly.

If your having issues then look to the hardware or config... Vista is a very stable platform and works great. As for running older programs... it also has a built in XP compatablity mode as well to run just about anything.

Knocking something because you are not familiar with it is the norm these days.... try learning it and you will love it!
I actually know vista quite well. Someones opinion is just that, an opinion. Like someone said before, vistas features do not outweigh the problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This last July we bought a computer that had Vista because that is all that was available with the memory capacity and hard drive size we needed. Haven't had too many problems, but certainly didn't find any way to run certain xp compatible programs. All the new printers, scanners and the like are geared to run with Vista, just sold my old scanner for that reason to a guy who had an older machine and the new ones wouldn't work with his. One challenge I do have is finding a good anti-virus software that I don't have problems with while using Vista. But.... knock on wood, new hard drive, new printer/scanner combo and everything seems to be going well. The one thing we were told is that if we replaced the vista with xp that our warranty on the computer would no longer be valid, don't know 100% about that, but it seemed like more than I cared to contend with at the time. I suppose it's like ice cream, some people like one or two flavors and the rest will try anything, lol.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well,

i bought the laptop off my brother girlfriend..... she doenst have disks ........... so looks like i'll have to buy xp.....grrr......

this doesnt really help that i cant get autocad to run due to vista...... so i might be able to get this project if i cant get vista off/xp on/cad on......

i've been searching for cad 2008 that works with vista...as a free trial....and nothing.......

i prolly should have bought a new HD for my dell and called it a day.......

so i think i'll be spending all day looking for something to work.......not good......

b

1 - 20 of 41 Posts