T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8,073 Posts
The mighty press name is a known quality in most cases. My only comment - and I am not familiar with this press - I would look for one that has different patens...I have one that has 4. All hats are not created in same shape..

· Registered
4 Posts
If you don't really care what it looks like as long as it gets the job done properly, you should try to make one out of wood or scrap metal. These little mechanical machines that you buy on the market are way over priced. I am currently making one myself just for truckers caps and baseball caps pretty much the same thing except for the printing surfaces. There is a video on Youtube called "printing hats," that was very useful and I know I can make a machine like that but much more simpler and make mine out of wood and stock sheet metal. I am drawing up the plans and deminsions then onto making it. The design I have in mind would utilize a standard screen and no such special screen needed. Maybe a smaller screen but that would be the extent of it. My machine should be finished by this afternoon and ready for the first try. If I make a mistake on it I simply wash out the ink while it's still wet and let the hat dry then try it again after any adjustments are made. I have one cap just for set up and what I did was to waterproof the front of the hat with SCOTCH GUARD which is a waterproofing spray for canvas tents. This allows me wash off any ink from the hat without leaving a stain on it. While blank hats are not expencive you don't want to waste them trying to set things up either. If you are not in a hurry to buy this hat machine give me a couple of days to get mine right then I'll send you the plans to make one for yourself but you'll have to contact me at [email protected] but at the same time it's your money and if you've been doing this for sometime now than you may just want to spend the money. slowhand:)

· Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the responce :) I wasn't aware that you were using hot press type of printing. I am into the screen printing and is much different. I have my hat press working and I need to make a few minor adjustments. It's made of both wood, aluminum and plastic PVC. It wasn't that hard to figure out. This is actually me second attempt to make one of these things as with my first attempt, I tried to keep the curvature of the hat while printing. Well, that didn't work out so good.:( When it didn't work out so good that meant back to the drawing board.:confused: It's almost perfect for the size hat I am printing. I do realize that hats come in different sizes as well as different printing space on the front of the hat. Some are 3 inches some are 2 inches,
then there's visors and low profile hats. I am not printing these things for a living but more or less as a hobby to start with and see if it takes off. I am making my own designs I make the screens put it on a t-shirt and watch people's reaction to the shirt. If I have a saying or smart remark printed in text on the shirt, and I have people to ask me to stand still so they can read my shirt, then I know I have something they may be interested in. It's happened to me plenty of times when I was wearing store bought t-shirts, and it makes you think man I should have came up with that!:eek: So tatoo designs printed on t-shirts are great! But finding artwork that is not copyrighted is not an easy thing to do. I also from time to time participate in woodcarving. I have been carving wood since High school way back in the 70's. I have carved over 500 pieces of artwork in wood and have since given almost all of them away and each piece was signed and dated on the bottom of the piece. I've learned to do so many things with my hands it's not even funny. On weekends I am even a lead guitarist in a well respected Country Music band. I used to custom make electric guitars until I had a so called friend who asked me to make one for him. I did and gave him the price of the finished guitar with all of the hardware he wanted on it, the finish, and mother of pearl work, his choice of fretwire and pickups. Now this guitar was completely hand made with the aid of a few power tools. It was a beautiful guitar, well balanced and easy action for playing, so I gave him the pricetag of $800.00 which was cheap considering the time I spent on it. I had six hundred dollars in materials alone in the guitar and three months worth of labor. He wanted me to just give him the guitar like I owed it to him. Three years later I finally did give him the guitar just to shut him up, because he was one of those guy who carried a grudge on his shoulders. That experience taught me a lesson as to not do anything for friends. And if you do, to tell them up front it's gonna cost you at least as much as it cost me!:rolleyes:
I have also done upholstery work and learned to sew materials together at another time in my life. So in a nutshell I am full of actual experience hands on. I have even gotten into electronics at an even earlier age way back in the 1960's where I bought my first electric guitar but the amp that came with it was a joke or a practice amp. I needed more power! So this was at a time when TV's were made from vacume tubes and werwe pretty easy to get freely at the dump or landfill. I learned to read schematics on my own and I learned what each part is and how it works. Then I went to the landfill and got all the parts for free. I then assembled my first 100 watt tube amp for guitar. I got some speakers at a garage sale and ended up with a great amp. I used it for a few years until I was able to buy a more professional looking one that cost a heck of lot more than I wanted to pay for it but what the heck. I am now advanced enough in electronics to build this computer from scratch. It has an 800mhz front side bus with SATA Hard drives in it. I am running two 250 gig hard drives marked C and D respectively. C drive is for all programs and operating system with a backup on the D drive. The D drive is where I keep all of my personal files, movie files, pictures and everything else I want to keep private. My D drive is also password protected so even though you can find it listed in the MY COMPUTER, unless you know my password it won't do you any good, you just know that it's there. I am running a Pentium 4 3.5MHZ CPU a 16x ATI video card with 128 meg Ram onboard. My physical memory is 2 gig MAX with heat sinks and cooling fan. I have a 650 watt power supply, CD and DVD dual layer writer. Netgear wireless internet card. The coolest thing about this computer is simply this, if the C drive goes down I can easily recover all of my files by just replacing the C drive. My personal files are still on the D drive. I make it a rule to never be online when I am on my D drive for my own personal security. Even so I have back ups of everything on my computer, every file, software, document etc. That is a safty factor just in case of a worst case sinario. :);):D
If you are using the iron on heat transfer paper, there is a new paper out there that you do not have to cut or trim. Go to Youtube and check it out under new heat transfer paper. I may even look into that myself. Have fun and thanks a bunch. Feel free to chat with me anytime. slowhand

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.