T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had T-shirts debossed or know of a company that can or will deboss a logo on shirts, hoodies and other apparel? I have seen this done on Ogio “O-Boy” polo t-shirt and wanted to get some more information on this service.

· Premium Member
13,203 Posts
How on earth would you deboss a t-shirt? Fabric isn't like paper; it washes, it springs back, etc. I know very little about embroidery (the most likely culprit for something like this), so maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't see how this would be possible.

Do you have pictures or links for examples?

· Registered
1,763 Posts
How on earth would you deboss a t-shirt? Fabric isn't like paper; it washes, it springs back, etc. I know very little about embroidery (the most likely culprit for something like this), so maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't see how this would be possible.

Do you have pictures or links for examples?
The only technique I know that allows for this is using heat applied puff on the inside of the shirt...when it puffs it basically sucks the shirt up with it and creates a debossed effect on the opposite side...here is a shirt we did awhile back.

Attachments

· Registered
15 Posts
The only technique I know that allows for this is using heat applied puff on the inside of the shirt...when it puffs it basically sucks the shirt up with it and creates a debossed effect on the opposite side...here is a shirt we did awhile back.

Any idea how long that holds? Is it indefinite?
That's pretty sick... design ideas popping.

Thanks!!!

· Premium Member
13,203 Posts
Yes, Here is a link of the shirt im talking about Welcome!, NEW OGIO ® - O-boy Polo. OG107
Interesting. To me that just looks like it's woven into the fabric, rather than debossed after the fact. But then, I guess it would look that way if it was done properly anyway. Still, the fact that it ends so neatly at a seam definitely makes me suspect it was done before the shirt was sewn.

You could try debossing a fabric sample the traditional way (i.e. letterpress); if I was to try something like that I would try fabric with a lot of spring in it, like a pique knit.

Assuming the fabric can hold the pattern, anything that can exert enough pressure to crush the fabric into a pattern should do the trick. Which means you could do it with a heat press. Which is part of the reason I'm skeptical it can be done, or we'd have a lot more reports of accidental debossing ;)

Still, maybe there's some kind of backing sheet required to make it hold, and maybe such a product exists.

Still skeptical, still think it is probably done by weaving... but I certainly could be wrong.

Good luck.

· Premium Member
13,203 Posts
Hey, yeah... that's a great idea.

Is it practical as an actual product? Like, comfortable to wear and the effect lasts through washing? Or more of a one-off unusual piece for a promotion?

· Registered
1,763 Posts
Hey, yeah... that's a great idea.

Is it practical as an actual product? Like, comfortable to wear and the effect lasts through washing? Or more of a one-off unusual piece for a promotion?
Yes it's practical, 'but' I wouldn't wear the puff material personally against the skin (since its on the inside of the shirt), would wear with an undershirt...it's definitely durable through wash cycles.

· Registered
2,907 Posts
From the looks of the design I am thinking it was done before the shirt was sewn together also and maybe done with a fabric embosser. I have seen this machine in China and they have specially cut dies to get the impression on the material. Very large operation nothing a startup would have. When I was there they were doing the reverse embossing on blue jean material that would later be turned into pockets for the pair of jeans.

If I remember reading correctly I "think" Permaboss has a fabric embosser? Not 100% sure though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.