T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
598 Posts
My DAS system arrived today plus decal system. I can't wait to get involved and start rhinestoning!!!'
Awesome serenity! Good luck. You will be addicted! Cool website looking forward to seeing some great designs from you. Have fun and let us know if you have any questions at all. Everyone here is very helpful.

· Registered
261 Posts
Congratulations April! You are going to have a lot of fun and make some money too! The DAS system is what I have too and I am finding the programs very good, the GCC cutter is great, and the training is awesome. I'll be looking forward to seeing your success!

· Registered
1,499 Posts
Just curious, can they post it on their website if they customized the artwork while using the program? In other words, start with a template, do some customizing and then it would be unique to themselves.

YOU will have to be the one to read about this in all of your manuals and licensing agreements.
(read all small print too)

Do not rely on "word of mouth" or what anyone "tells" you.

READ everything for yourself concerning software from any company.
Get proof of exactly what is being "said".

IF someone "tells" you something ASK THEM TO SHOW you exactly where it is written, so your business always will be protected and so that you will always be following the rules.
:)

· Registered
1,191 Posts
YOU will have to be the one to read about this in all of your manuals and licensing agreements.
(read all small print too)

Do not rely on "word of mouth" or what anyone "tells" you from any company.

READ everything for yourself concerning software from any company.
Get proof of exactly what is being "said".

IF someone "tells" you something ASK THEM TO SHOW you exactly where it is written, so your business always will be protected and so that you will always be following the rules.
:)

I don't do do rhinestones myself, was just curious after reading the post.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, I am going to have to do some serious reading. I am feeling a bit of regret at this moment considering I plan of having my business mainly internet based. I am hoping that if I customize the image myself I can put them on the website. Man, if only I had known prior to purchase. I think this is something they should tell you prior considering when I spoke with the sales associate to cater a package to my needs and stated that my business would be internet based. I saw a website of a company that is here in Texas near me and it is apparent they must have the DAS system as well and some of the images seem to be the same as what is in the clip art. Some customized but some the same. Grrrr. I'm stuck now.

April

· Registered
1,499 Posts
Wow, I am going to have to do some serious reading. I am feeling a bit of regret at this moment considering I plan of having my business mainly internet based. I am hoping that if I customize the image myself I can put them on the website. Man, if only I had known prior to purchase. I think this is something they should tell you prior considering when I spoke with the sales associate to cater a package to my needs and stated that my business would be internet based. I saw a website of a company that is here in Texas near me and it is apparent they must have the DAS system as well and some of the images seem to be the same as what is in the clip art. Some customized but some the same. Grrrr. I'm stuck now.

April

April,

Don't freak out.
Just know the "rules".
Know the licensing word for word - of ANY software/system that you purchase.

There are people who really like/love das's products.
And have used them for many years.

It is totally up to each individual to READ EVERYTHING in the contracts/licensing/manuals of ANY software/system that they purchase.
BUT not only to READ, it is of the utmost importance to UNDERSTAND EXACTLY what those words you are reading actually mean!
If worst comes to worst - and you do not understand - ask a lawyer to explain everything to you.

here are some good reads...

What You Should Know About DAS Smart Designer Licensing agreement
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/graphics-design-help/t97880.html
Read the whole thread.
….and a post I made at the end of it that I really hope gets answered… (knowledge is power)
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/graphics-design-help/t97880-6.html#post740149

Here is a great post by SunnyDayz (in another thread) that touches on the subject.
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/rhinestone-decoration/t125115-2.html#post736963
Specific quote excerpt from sunnydayz in the permalink above
Are their products nice? yes, but you are limited in what you can do with them due to their licensing. You do not own them once you buy them, you only are paying a fee to use them.”

In the end, if one purchases a software/system, does not read & understand the contracts/licensing/manuals, uses it any way they want and then "gets into trouble"...well, it is their own fault. sad but true.

How each company chooses to deal w/ that situation - and the tactics they use to rectify it - is another matter entirely!

Hope that helps some.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I sent an email just for clarification. I must say just from the response I received from one individual there this is dead on. As a total beginner I was specific about my needs and stated that the stocked photos were the winning factor for me and that I would be able to get up and running quickly by adding text to them and putting the on my website. I just wish that it would have been disclosed to me at the time. The licensing info comes in shrink wrapped books that you must open in order to read. I'm sure that I will still love the system but since I am spending a lot of time just trying to figure out where to begin on making my own images etc. It will just take me longer to get my business going. I will await a response from the owner.

April

· Registered
471 Posts
Can someone please tell me the purpose of buying DAS' art work if you can't actually USE it??

Is it so you can look at it on your computer screen and admire the DAS Art Deparment?

I'm not understanding something.......because this makes no sense at all.

Why would they sell you art work that you can't use? I don't think that's correct.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sandy,
it says exactly that. You can use it to print, send to customers via a virtual sample etc. But you can not use it on a web site whether it be on a shirt, bag etc. I'm paraphrasing so it not an infringement. I don't mind buying more clipart it's just that I thought I had taken care of that by purchasing this system.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.