T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question, Is their a paper out there ink-jet not laser that will leave no res-ado film in the un-used areas. I am conture cutting the logo out and at the bottom is letters,this paper is not meant to cut small separate letters they are having a problem tearing when peeling the backing off. I would like to cut around the letters but the dark transfer paper leaves a white back ground not whats in there logo. Need help finding a paper that does not leave a film or other suggestions. Brand new at making Tees any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Mike Anderson
Alien Head Custom Signs & Tees

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't think there is any transfer paper for darks that won't have a white backing. I always use black shirts so what I do is just make the background black so it blends in with the shirt. Then I try to cut as close to the image as possible. So if you can try to match the background color to the shirt color, that would be better than trying to cut that delicate transfer paper into intricate shapes or have a ton of white surrounding your image. Hope this helps a little.

Nelson

·
Registered
118 Posts
For dark transfers, You can use self trimming paper for darks. But in my opinion self trimming dark paper is too troublesome for now as it is normally a two step and the temperature difference between the first and second step is significant. If this improves in the future, then it maybe something to think about.

I use the opaque papers that requied trimming with a cutter. You can just use an exacto knife or scissors to trim the white background. I normally leave a white border around my image. This will make the logo stand out and it makes it look like you did that on purpose. This will give you more room for error when cutting with knife or scissors.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The problem with letters is once you peel them then you have to try to line them back up on the shirt, a real pain in the butt. I learned how to get them off without tearing. with some small tools you have to get in between takes some practice.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you are using opaque paper with an image that isn't continuous (all parts not connecting), you can try using a tack to align all your lettering. Tack will also make it easier to peel the film off the backing.

Tack is normally what sign makers use to keep their letters aligned, etc, but can be used in the same way with the dark transfer papers. Some tack can be used mulitple times as well.

·
Registered
996 Posts
When I do Photos with let's say a name. I do the text in vinyl. Have to do the photo first as it takes the higher temp. but works well for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I dont think there is a dark transfer paper that doesnt leave the white background. Dark transfers are almost like decals, it is meant to leave the white so that you can get white on a dark t. My only suggestion would be look into vinyls. You can cut your letters and press them but, they are only 1 colour. If you want shading there are print vinyls but you have to have a solvent printer. What transfer paper are u using? I have used my robo cutter on blue grid and laser 1 opaque and they have cut letter as small at 1/2" high.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts