T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
Pretty new to t shirt pressing i have been using jet pro soft stretch to print on to white shirts with pretty good results and now i am looking at doing darker or different colour shirts.

Ive read i can use jet pro opaque to do this but was curious how this works with print colours that are white? I assume they will show as the colour of the shirt.
Does anyone know a way to resolve this or maybe even different process i should be doing?
Thanks

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The transfer paper for printing on darks is white and opaque. The shirt color doesn't show through at all. Generally, it would be trimmed to the shape of the design for best results.

Sent from my SM-T310 using T-Shirt Forums
I see ok thats cool. Second question. If i have to cut the background away how would this work with complex designs? Would thiz be where contour cutters come in?

Also when pressing them would all the cut pieces have to be lined up on the shirt seperatly?
Sorry for the questions im sure they are very basic.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, complex designs would be best cut using a contour cutter. There is a clear application tape for heat transfers that can be laid over the design after weeding away what is not being printed. After peeling away the backing paper, you can press the design with the app tape and peel the tape away when it cools.
I see.
So the process would be.
Print
Then cut
Then line up and stick to this tape and then press the whole thing and then peel the tape away?
At what point do i peel the normal transfer backing away?

Do you have a name for what this tape is or where i can get it?

Thanks

· Registered
348 Posts
You've almost got it.
1) Print. No need to reverse the design
2) Cut. Best to purchase a cutter with an optical eye. There may be a bit of trial and error with pressure and depth depending on the cutter. Better to start with lighter settings and gradually increase until you get a good cut without cutting the backing paper.
3) Weed. Remove everything that is not being printed from the backing paper.
4) Apply the application tape. Use a plastic squeegee to burnish the application tape to the transfer. I get mine from a company in the uk, MDP, but if you're in the States, I would imagine Stahl's or one of the heat transfer paper suppliers that sponsor the forums would supply it.
5) remove the backing paper from the transfer, leaving only the transfer image and the application tape. Place this on the garment. The app tape will hold it in place.
6) Press. The paper I use is medium pressure, 10 seconds at 160 celsius. Yours may be different depending on your supplier.
7) Wait until the garment cools (or fan it) and carefully peel off the app tape.
8) Post a photo of your first print and cut project on the forums and receive much praise :)

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You've almost got it.
1) Print. No need to reverse the design
2) Cut. Best to purchase a cutter with an optical eye. There may be a bit of trial and error with pressure and depth depending on the cutter. Better to start with lighter settings and gradually increase until you get a good cut without cutting the backing paper.
3) Weed. Remove everything that is not being printed from the backing paper.
4) Apply the application tape. Use a plastic squeegee to burnish the application tape to the transfer. I get mine from a company in the uk, MDP, but if you're in the States, I would imagine Stahl's or one of the heat transfer paper suppliers that sponsor the forums would supply it.
5) remove the backing paper from the transfer, leaving only the transfer image and the application tape. Place this on the garment. The app tape will hold it in place.
6) Press. The paper I use is medium pressure, 10 seconds at 160 celsius. Yours may be different depending on your supplier.
7) Wait until the garment cools (or fan it) and carefully peel off the app tape.
8) Post a photo of your first print and cut project on the forums and receive much praise :)
Thats great. Thank you for this .

Two things
One do you have a link to the tape you buy?
Two why do you not have to reverse the image when printing?

· Registered
348 Posts
You're very welcome.

Here's the link:
Digi-Flex Mask Film | MDP Supplies

The reason you don't reverse the print is because the transfer is white and opaque. It's the printed side of the transfer that prints face up. the adhesive is on the back, against the backing paper. It's almost as if you were applying a self adhesive bumper sticker on a car. it would not be printed in reverse.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're very welcome.

Here's the link:
Digi-Flex Mask Film | MDP Supplies

The reason you don't reverse the print is because the transfer is white and opaque. It's the printed side of the transfer that prints face up. the adhesive is on the back, against the backing paper. It's almost as if you were applying a self adhesive bumper sticker on a car. it would not be printed in reverse.

I see so print. Place colour side down o to sticky side of tape leaving the back of the transfer showing. Peel the back of the transfer off. Place sticky side of transfer down on shirt so that colour side os facing up showing design. Press and then peel. :)
Hopefully thats right.

So technically i could use the same process for this with jet pro soft stretch if i had no white colour i wanted to lose?

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly right! Except you couldn't use the same method with Jetpro Sofstretch because the print is reversed, the print side goes to the garment and the backing paper is removed after heat pressing.
Cant thank you enough for your help.

Gone and purchased what you recommended and hopefully will come out with a good shirt after this.

All i need to figure out now is how to get my printer to print brighter colours, :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.