T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently converting my garage to my shop. I am drywalling my garage and I plan to have my complete shop/darkroom all together. I wanted to know the color my darkroom needs to be so I went to silkscreensupplies, and it says that my darkroom should be pink or rose, I go pretty much by what they say, but do you know why this has be.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I didn't know it has to be a specific color. I think as long as not outside UV light reach the area where you work with your emulsion it should be ok. Indoors you can use a yellow "bug" light.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Presumably to minimise reflection of UV, without being so dark as to cause visibility problems (as red would). I have my doubts it's actually necessary though (the dark rooms I've been in have been painted white as far as I know... although it's hard to be certain since they always had yellow light on at the time :)).

I have been wondering lately if white walls in an exposure room would cause light reflecting and scattering, but I'm guessing they're not reflective enough to really cause much impact?

·
Registered
414 Posts
my walls are white and i have no problems, i used to develope 35mm film in this room as well. I have an orange color light bulb i use to see and also a stand alone enclosed light that uses an orange plastic cover. The light bulbs is only 60 watts (i think).

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've worked in print shops and darkrooms for 35 years and the majority have been a neutral gray color.
(Jobs that cost many thousands of dollars were on the line too)
One paint job exception was my first job, they had canary yellow walls, trimmed with a royal blue border in our department... heheh
In the other places there were areas that had white, or off white, they mostly took this stuff seriously, when we'd paint, we'd always have to go with the gray, they'd order it special too.
(The camera departments all had neutral gray)
I guess it could've been mid-management decisions though, something for them to argue over. heheh
Actually, I don't think it matters at all, we did everything under the sun in those darkrooms, nothing was ever attributed to the wall color as far as any of us were concerned.
Our biggest problems were salespeople with tours barging in the darkrooms or something like that. heheh

This room I'm in used to be a darkroom too, it had white walls, I developed for a few years in here, no problems at all.

Randy

·
Registered
333 Posts
Your darkroom walls can be any color you'd like as long as you restrict UV rays from coming into it.

If memory serves correctly, I think silkscreeningsupplies darkroom is white/grey walls with red darkroom light. (I went there a couple of times).

Just make sure you use the correct light bulbs for your darkroom and you'll be fine with whichever wall color you use.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm actually using a bathroom that is painted light purple, so it work out perfect.

The concept is this. You don't want it white, because the UV light can bounce around. So, for instance light from a window coming through the crack at the bottom of the door will bounce around with white walls.

If you have black walls it will absorb unwanted light, but make it harder to see.

So your looking for a balance.

I have a simple yellow light bulb from Lowes. It was listed as a "bug light: on the packaging. I think it's 60 watts. It gives me plenty of light. I have no problems. I've been told that the yellow bug lights give off much more light than red lights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have converted my garage into my screen print shop. My walls are white. I do on the other hand use a small white light hidden inside a box so it only puts out a small amount of light. I know I really need to use a different color light. I will be getting a yellow tinted light soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts