T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After printing and cutting dark-color paper, I'm left with the design on the backing material. How do I lift the design off the backing and apply it onto the shirt prior to pressing? Do I need some kind of tape?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
the opaque paper im using, you peel the paper backing off the opaque.
Then you're left with an opaque transfer that is sticky on the backside, this makes it easy to position. You can even hold up the shirt to see if the placement is good.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T-BOT said:
the opaque paper im using, you peel the paper backing off the opaque.
Then you're left with an opaque transfer that is sticky on the backside, this makes it easy to position. You can even hold up the shirt to see if the placement is good.
Yes, but what if you're cutting letters. You don't want to separate them from the backing one by one. What would you do then? You need to lift them in one fell swoop and apply them all at once.

It would seem you'd need some kind of tape to lift the material after weeding.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Clinton said:
Yes, but what if you're cutting letters. You don't want to separate them from the backing one by one. What would you do then? You need to lift them in one fell swoop and apply them all at once.

It would seem you'd need some kind of tape to lift the material after weeding.
oh, I see, letter eh!
for letters i never use jet or clc transfers.
i make plotter cut transfers with all the words pre-spaced and ready to apply. Mind you you can still peel of the letters, cover them with teflon sheet and then apply/press.

you know, its not expensive to order them like i described (deco transfers), and they are really good quality.

Or if you have a cutter, heck! why not cut the deco material letters yourself, just buy the material rolls. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T-BOT said:
oh, I see, letter eh!
for letters i never use jet or clc transfers.
i make plotter cut transfers with all the words pre-spaced and ready to apply. Mind you you can still peel of the letters, cover them with teflon sheet and then apply/press.

you know, its not expensive to order them like i described (deco transfers), and they are really good quality.

Or if you have a cutter, heck! why not cut the deco material letters yourself, just buy the material rolls. ;)
I do plan to cut the designs myself. I wish I could show you what I mean. What I'm trying to say is that I can't figure out how to peel all the letters AT ONCE. If I take them out one at a time, I'll have to align them manually, which will probably not turn out nicely. I'm thinking I might need some tape to lift all the pieces at once, then lay it on the shirt.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
sorry, it just sounds like a lot of work to print entire words etc.

i guess you can spray temporary clear adhesive on the sheet, then use a clear carrier type material, push it down, then lift it up. But seriously i do not know how well this would work. :confused:

you can try it.

there maybe some type of tape like what the sign guys use to lift window sign lettering on the market. I just dont use such...at all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
T-BOT said:
sorry, it just sounds like a lot of work to print entire words etc.

i guess you can spray temporary clear adhesive on the sheet, then use a clear carrier type material, push it down, then lift it up. But seriously i do not know how well this would work. :confused:

you can try it.

there maybe some type of tape like what the sign guys use to lift window sign lettering on the market. I just dont use such...at all.
Exactly, it needs to work something like the vinyl guys do it.

What puzzles me is, this is a basic procedure that surely everyone who heatpresses to dark colors should know, yet no one seems to have a simple explanation. There HAS to be a simple way to do this.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I dont think digital opaque transfers were developed for printing and cutting out letters. Since you can make/cut them as a 1 step with the cutter and vinyls etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts