T-Shirt Forums banner

cutter software

887 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  1ArmBandit
starting to look around for a bigger cutter and want to get use to a new software..right now im pretty comfortable with my cameo 3 and the basic software it comes with (SS) but when i get a new plotter ill need new software correct? even if i wouldnt need new software, is there better software i could be using and practicing on with the cameo before i get the new plotter? thanks!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I have a Silver Bullet cutter with Sure Cuts A Lot 4 design and cutting software.

SCAL handles most cutters, including the Cameos, and is very reasonably priced.

Personally though, I would decide on a cutter first THEN choose software that will run with it. Some cutters come supplied with decent software as part of the deal.
Reactions: 1
My view of cutting software is it cuts. More and more, cutting software comes that cuts and does design. If you get cutting software that mostly just cuts, then you can use spend your time learning dedicated design software like Inkscape, CorelDraw or Illustrator. Even if the cutting software also does design, there is something to be said for learning dedicated vector design software over a canned package of design/cutting software.
My view of cutting software is it cuts. More and more, cutting software comes that cuts and does design. If you get cutting software that mostly just cuts, then you can use spend your time learning dedicated design software like Inkscape, CorelDraw or Illustrator. Even if the cutting software also does design, there is something to be said for learning dedicated vector design software over a canned package of design/cutting software.

i guess id be looking for software that is most like the (ss), design and cut? and the best trace function is there is better than (ss) because i do a lot of tracing of fonts and things..
Illustrator
Flexi Sign
SignLab
Cibercut
Sign Cut Pro
Vinyl Master Pro
Sure Cuts A lot

There are a handful of others.
Some of these are cutting programs and some are both cut and design.

We use the first 4, but mostly illustrator for design and the cutting master plugin to cut with.

I am a strong believer in learning illustrator (the sign/design industry standard). If you know it well you will not need to spend money on cutting/design software (which the good ones are not cheap) and be able to produce professional quality signage.
See less See more
i guess id be looking for software that is most like the (ss), design and cut? and the best trace function is there is better than (ss) because i do a lot of tracing of fonts and things..
My view of ss is that in comparison to real design software, it is as rinky dinky as rinky dinky can be, or close. However, that may be plenty for many, as it does the basic tasks. I was suggesting moving out of your comfort zone of the narrow choices the cutting manufacturer has placed you, into a larger world of design software, that can be applied beyond use for cutters. You would get far superior design abilities and learn tools that have application beyond cut vinyl. Illustrator is the standard in the industry but costs about $240/year. Inkscape is free but many would not put it in the "pro," catagorery, with its open source roots, and it misses some features needed in the "pro world." None the less, it is plenty powerful. CorelDraw is my current go to choice around is about $200/year. Draw has a feature set that is like Illustrator combined with InDesign. You can't partition out CorelDraw from the rest of the suite like you can Illustrator from the rest of the CC offerings. So you get CorelDraw, CorlPhoto-Paint, Font Manger, Capture and the crappy Web Creation tool all together.

Decoupling design from cutting means your design skills have one focus and the cutting tools are just to cut. Then you can practice in a tool with multiple purposes, knowing your skill is always growing, with or without a cutter.
See less See more
For many people tracing bitmaps to vectors is a prime requirement and I find that ALL the above-mentioned software is sadly lacking (read: CRAP!) in this area.

So, I'd say you need separate bitmap software, vector software, and tracing software, and VectorMagic is hard to beat in this last category.
For many people tracing bitmaps to vectors is a prime requirement and I find that ALL the above-mentioned software is sadly lacking (read: CRAP!) in this area.

So, I'd say you need separate bitmap software, vector software, and tracing software, and VectorMagic is hard to beat in this last category.
played with vectormagic and thought it was awesome! so i bought it...going to be playing with AI today i think..question is, for now, im using photoshop cc and when i drag the svg over to photoshop i cant figure out how to make all the traced parts separate so i could send the dif colors to the cutter..what am i missing?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.