T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Basically this guy cut through the package and right into the shirt while opening his package. He claimed that I used "way too much tape'' and started his message by saying "before I leave a negative review..." I've packaged 5,000+ shirts over the past 12 months and have never heard that I use too much tape.

Normally I'm all for customer service but this guys ridiculous attitude makes me really not want to send him a replacement. Is him cutting through a package and into a shirt really my responsibility?

The money in replacing this isn't the issue. It's this guys blaming of me.

I'm curious as to what others would do in this situation.

· Registered
9,952 Posts
Depends on a lot of factors. If it is just one shirt for a one time customer I might be on the fence. If it was a good customer I would replace it.

· Registered
368 Posts
It depends, is this a repeat customer? Would he be a repeat customer? How big of an order was it? Im just gauging the situation to see where to go from here.

If its a repeat customer or could turn into one, I would replace it and advice the customer this is the way you ship/pack your items and to please be careful.

If you think this guy will never buy again, and the negative review won't hurt you, I would tell them that you are not responsible for their lack of care when opening the package. I would make them pay for the new shipping charges and just charge the new shirt at half off.

Sent from my HTC One X using T-Shirt Forums

· Registered
245 Posts
Apologize. If it was screen printed offer a money back for the t-shirt. If it was digital, print one and send it to him. Print a few hundred black and white labels with a warning regarding the danger with a disclaimer and place it where the tape is. Regarding if it is a good customer or not. The customer is not always right but you can be on the right by making things better and diffuse a possible ugly situation. Sometimes we need to bite our tong and do what's right for us not for the customer. Just my two cents.

CD

· Registered
8,278 Posts
Now you have to send out a IQ test to every customer before sending them a shirt. Who doesn't have the common sense to not use a sharp object to open a package. A key works great on tape.

I might replace it if I had an extra around. I don't think a negative review would be harmful as long as you are able to respond. Anyone with a IQ over 60 could clearly see it wasn't your fault. If I were to replace it I would make them return it at their cost since its not your fault.

· Registered
245 Posts
Not everyone is the same, so to protect yourself you need to treat everyone as if they were all idiots. You surely has seen warning labels in products that are ridiculous absurd like "don't strike lit the match and insert it into your eyeball". For the cost of one t-shirt best thing is to replace it, refund it and go on with you life. Simple and no stress.

CD

· Registered
1,746 Posts
Come on people. This is an obvious case of "somebody's fault but not mine". The OP (and the rest of us) should provide detailed instructions on the outside of the package. Maybe with pictures too.:rolleyes:

· Registered
368 Posts
Come on people. This is an obvious case of "somebody's fault but not mine". The OP (and the rest of us) should have provide detailed instructions on the outside of the package. Maybe with pictures too.:rolleyes:
I think a link to a YouTube video, showing the proper technique to use in order to open a package is also needed. Can't be too careful nowadays.

Sent from my HTC One X using T-Shirt Forums

· Registered
937 Posts
It should come with disclaimers.

New shirt! This new shirt will make you feel better. It will take your old boring drab life and make it new and exciting. It will end your depression. It will bring new friends into your life. You will have new passion and stamina. You will look 5 pounds thinner!

So ask your shirt provider if a new shirt is right for you!

You should not get a new shirt if you have trouble with two layers of packing tape. Do not try to open the package if you have no clue how to use a utility knife or you already have less than ten fingers because of a previous package. Opening the wrong end of the package could result in your shirt being upside down in the package which will result in deep depression. Do not order a shirt if you plan to leave negative feedback because of your own carelessness. Do not put this shirt or any other shirt on backwards as this can lead to losing friends in public. If you have trouble opening a package for more than four hours, consult your shirt provider immediately.

So get your new shirt today! It will make your whole life a success.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up offering him a replacement at cost ($7 including shipping) and he rejected it. He said "it's not his job as a customer to moderate my packaging methods".
But I guess it's my job as a seller to moderate his opening methods.

I guess I'll take a negative review. It's incredible how stupid some people are.

· Registered
6,848 Posts
I used to be hard to get along and I did not make any money....Now I am much easier to get along with and I am doing quite well......I would have replaced the shirt with no questions asked...

PS.....I had a client ask me how to get cat pee out of a shirt....I told them i had no idea but I would be happy to send them another shirt at no charge.....The "goodwill" from that gesture was "priceless"....

· Registered
28 Posts
I really find this interesting because it is clearly the fault of the package opener yet it is nearly a 50/50 split on what to do. On one hand you replace it and say nothing and the customer is happy but what stops them from doing it again and again and ect....On the other hand you stand your ground and take the negative review and offer to replace the shirt but at their cost and upset them but hopefully they learn a lesson and it doesnt happen again. But either way some one loses. If I had to chose an option I would upset the customer. Maybe this isnt the first time this has happened and they have done it a few times, or maybe it is the first time it has happened but either way you can help make it the last time and save someone else a headache.

· Registered
6,848 Posts
I really find this interesting because it is clearly the fault of the package opener yet it is nearly a 50/50 split on what to do. On one hand you replace it and say nothing and the customer is happy but what stops them from doing it again and again and ect....On the other hand you stand your ground and take the negative review and offer to replace the shirt but at their cost and upset them but hopefully they learn a lesson and it doesnt happen again. But either way some one loses. If I had to chose an option I would upset the customer. Maybe this isnt the first time this has happened and they have done it a few times, or maybe it is the first time it has happened but either way you can help make it the last time and save someone else a headache.
Do you think a situation like this is going to come up often enough that it will hurt your business to do it?....

For me, if I have a complaint I do what ever a client wants including a full refund and letting them keep the goods....Most folks are reasonable (at least in Canada anyway)..... I have made some partial refund but never so much is "hurts".....

Are you responding in a way that "helps" your business or makes you feel "better"?....For me looking after an unhappy clients makes me feel better and helps my business...

· Registered
226 Posts
It is a tough call on what to do. We had a customer from France order something from us once. We shipped it, provided a tracking number. Two months later the customer contacts us and tells us she did not get her product. We checked the tracking, it reads delivered. Told her to check with her local post office because sometimes they put stuff on customs hold, they told her that their records show it as delivered.

She emailed and harassed us until we finally just gave her her money back. She was going to make it her personal mission to make sure people knew how bad our customer service was even though we had done everything that could possibly be expected of us.

So, we are out the product, the money and the money for the international postage. Sometimes, you just have to take the breaks as they come.

· Registered
245 Posts
$7.00???? I would have send him 2 T-shirts, one for him for being an idiot and one from me doing good to my company. No questions asked and no lecturing the customer which it seems that's what pissed him off and rejected the replacement. One happy customer will tell 10 others, one unhappy customer will tell 100. I hope there is a lesson learned here.

CD

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.