T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New to this so sorry if this is a dumb question.

When buying custom transfers from companies with my artwork does it come already trimmed ?? I do not have a cutter and they look to be expensive. Any ideas for alternatives ??

Does everyone use a cutter or ??

any suggestions for custom transfer companies ? prices etc ??

thanks

Scott

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: Heat Transfers

Hey Scott,

Welcome to the forums. When ordering transfers from most companies, you will be getting either inkjet transfers, or screen printed plastisol transfers. If you are ordering opaque transfers for dark garments then many times you will want to trim around the edges of the design so that you do not end up with a big square, unless you want a big square.

However, I get the feeling that you are talking about vinyl transfers based on your use of the word cutter. Vinyl cutters can be expensive.
If you were to order vinyl transfers from someone, the design would already be cut into the vinyl. Usually the design is already weeded (unwanted vinyl is removed from the design) for you, but you can also get the designs delivered un-weeded to save a little money.

Is that the type of transfer you were talking about?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the response . So is plasticol transfer a type of transfer paper ?? If so can I use my Epson printer to put my design on them and only the ink part will transfer ??

·
Registered
950 Posts

No, Plastisol is actually a type of ink that screen printers use. Screen Printers have learned how to make transfers for the heat press industry by screen printing a design onto a transfer sheet. The word Plastisol has been kind of used by by us heat press people as short for Plastisol transfers. To a screen printer, Plastisol means ink. Anyway, you can't make your own Plastisol transfers unless you buy all the equipment for screen printing and learn how to do it.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts

Decal_Designs said:
To a screen printer, Plastisol means ink.
To some of us it just means cancer causing agent* best avoided ;)

*No conclusive evidence to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts

If you going to do your own transfers then I recommend using "Iron All" with your Epson printer. That is for lights. Yes you will need to cut the design out but the quality of the transfer on the shirt is the best I have used. For darks I use an opaque but I do few shirts that are dark and mainly use them for my tote bag business.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are looking for custom heat transfers already trimmed to the artwork, I just received some from a co. called Universal Transfers out of PA. The ones I ordered were digital transfers for dark cotton. They did a good job cutting to the artwork and I believe it is printed on vinyl. Minimums are only 12 images but they seemed to be a tad expensive.

- Doug

·
Registered
114 Posts
I get so confused by the lingo. someone help me out please.

So ... I just learned what a plastisol transfer is from reading this post. I had been thinking that plastisol was that vinyl feeling transfer type from like back in the 70s. Now (just above) is the term digital transfer, which as I understand it, is just a transfer that I (or anyone) print themselves on transfer paper, is that right? Now, sublimation and screenprinting are 2 different things too, right? So much to learn.
I've been selling exclusively white shirts, etc. for this very reason. I'm just confused as to what to use or where to go to put my designs on darker garments. Doesn't your artwork have to be 'fixed' for screenprinting transfers too? Like so there are no 'ghosts' or something?

·
Registered
302 Posts
jacsma said:
I get so confused by the lingo. someone help me out please.

So ... I just learned what a plastisol transfer is from reading this post. I had been thinking that plastisol was that vinyl feeling transfer type from like back in the 70s. Now (just above) is the term digital transfer, which as I understand it, is just a transfer that I (or anyone) print themselves on transfer paper, is that right? Now, sublimation and screenprinting are 2 different things too, right? So much to learn.
I've been selling exclusively white shirts, etc. for this very reason. I'm just confused as to what to use or where to go to put my designs on darker garments. Doesn't your artwork have to be 'fixed' for screenprinting transfers too? Like so there are no 'ghosts' or something?
Pam,

Yes, sublimation and screenprinting are two different things. Someone else will have to tell you about those since I don't know much about them.

I understand your concern about printing on darker garments. If you get custom plastisol transfers made you need not worry about darker garments though.

Let's say one of your designs is a happy face. You want to heat press that happy face on a white and a black shirt. You can accomplish this using plastisol transfers. You simply take your design and send it (e-mail) to a company that specializes in making custom plastisol transfers. They screenprint your design on transfer paper using plastisol ink. When you heat press this transfer ONLY the ink will transfer over alleviating you of having to cut out the design. The only downside to plastisol is that it can be expensive to have your custom transfers made.

Here are a few places that can make your custom transfers:

www.silvermountaingraphics.com
www.dowlinggraphics.com
www.spot98.net
www.kemotographics.com

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
just to add....
if you are planing on reselling your designs via plastisol heat transfers, it is a good idea to space out your designs on a 25x38 transfer sheet for example.... and have the transfer manufacturer cut out each transfer design into nice professional looking single design transfers.

Also, there are good and bad plastisol ink transfers. The GOOD transfers heat press time is 3.4.5.6 seconds HOT PEEL, the Bad.... well they take 8-20 seconds press time and are cold peel.... this cuts into your job time and profit margin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts