T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a nice sturdy 1color 1 station press from E-Bay, found several places to buy reasonably priced shirts, putting together a order for supplies at Dick Blick Art supplies, and have been soaking up every bit of info I can find on the topic of screen printing. One thing I need to ask is plastisol inks have to hit 300+ deg to cure and a curing unit is out of my budget for now. Is there anyway else to cure them?? Possibly a heat gun, Halogen work light close up, homemade contraption, or even the oven if my wife doest shoot me.

Thanks Guys
Chip

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
You can make one. It isn't too hard if you're a little technically-minded. I've seen a home-made one that used paint stripping guns (about $100 cheap ones) and worked pretty well. There's a guide out on the web somewhere....I'll have a hunt.

The biggest problem with homemade versions is temp precision....you need to get very forgiving inks, with a wide curing range. And it's easy to burn your house down. And having two paint-stripper guns running off one household electricity suppy will often trip youer circuit breaker.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts