T-Shirt Forums banner

Curing with a flash dryer

5618 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  jimcr
I was wondering about the look of my print after curing the ink with a flash dryer. I've experimented with different drying times and distances from shirt to dryer. I've noticed that the ink will sometimes have a shimmer,glossy look to it and other times the ink will seem dull or matte looking. So I was wondering what the final look to the ink should be after a full cure. Is one better than the other, what should I be looking for?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
The glossy look is usually from over-curing. Most people prefer a matte finish to the ink. How are you checking your cure temperature? To be consistent you are going to have to have some method of measuring the temp of the ink. At the very least a laser temperature gun. God Bless.
so is there any downside to overcuring, will it have a negative effect in the long run? Any advice on dry times and distances when drying with a flash dryer. I was doing 2.5 minutes at 5.5 inches away and my temp gun was reading mid 300's in the center and around 280 on the edges. I was thinkin about bringin the shirt 2-3inches away from the flash and cutting my time down.
I've found that curing with a flash dryer works well at a 2 in. distance for 1 minute.
Reactions: 1
I just got a conveyor dryer... before I was curring with my flash dryer... bigrich74 is correct... 2in for about 45-60 secs worked for me. I had a hard time getting edges on big prints and I over curred sometime which made the ink stick together if touched which was a pita... Good luck.

Jason
Keep in mind that all of the ink needs to reach 320 degrees to fully cure.
So, I just bought a flash dryer and have tried it out the first time today. I use water based ink right now and wanted to cure the ink with my flash dryer. I put it at about 4 inches from my shirt and tried to cure it for about 2 minutes.

Now, I scorched my first shirts today. :(
I used a laser gun thing to measure the temperature and since I was outside today it only really got to about 250 degrees or so, which I think would be fine for water based ink?

My question is: if I start using plastisol ink, how do I get to 350 degrees without scorching my shirts? Was it the time that makes the difference?
with plastisol you need the whole ink layer to reach 320 , with waterbase you must drive out the moisture and then reach 320 .pull back heating element Longer dwell time with waterbase,
plastisol is fairly quick. dry time through my dryer for plastisol is 20 seconds , waterbase 2minutes
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.