T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I will be printing some waterbased discharge shirts for the first time soon. I have a question about curing technique:

My data sheets say that I should not let the waterbased inks air dry prior to curing as it could affect the ability of the discharging agent to discharge the pigments of the shirts, so I should cure right after printing. I am curing with an infared flash, which I know is not ideal. It will probably take 3-5 minutes per shirt to cure.

I am worried about printing one shirt and waiting 5 minutes to cure if before pulling another. I am assuming with waterbased inks that my screen would clog up very quickly.

For those of you who have tried this before, do you think it would work to pull a print and cure the shirt for a shorter time, perhaps a minute and then wait until the end of the run (maybe 2-3 hours) to run them through a full cure?

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
129 Posts
No ink takes 3-5 minutes to cure. I cure my discharge in about 1 minute 15 seconds in my IR conveyour dryer. and IR Flash should be similar. Test a shirt after 1:30 minutes of curing then let it air dry half a day then give it a wash to test it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I have done some preliminary testing:

On Gildan 2000s, I am printing solo with 2 flash dryers. I am getting a full discharge at a 90 second cure using Lancer's Formeldehyde-free Discharge Inks. Using two flashes for curing, I'm able to pull a print every 45 seconds and the screens don't seem to be clogging up too much.

I have cured a handful of shirts at 90, 120, 180 and 240 seconds. I am going to go do a wash test and see how they stand up...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'll be trying my hand at discharge soon with an IR dryer, so keep us posted on you're wash tests.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts