T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,624 Posts
Bill,

You probably already know this, but it is worth saying for others that read this post in the future. The first thing you want to ensure is your dryer has forced air. Forced air is needed to cure waterbased inks - whether screen printing or direct-to-garment printing. When the waterbased inks are heated up, the moisture rises into the dryer chamber. The forced air removes the moisture from the chamber to prevent it from failing back on to the garment and preventing the inks from curing properly. You can always call your dryer manufacturer or the dealer you purchased the dryer from to ask if they recommend the dryer model you have for curing waterbased inks.

Regarding the settings, you are looking for a dwell time of approximately 3-4 minutes at 320 degrees F. The difference is time is more associated with how much forced air your dryer has. Some dryers allow you to send through CMYK only and CMYK+W prints without adjusting the belt speed. Others require a longer dwell time for CMYK+W when there is less forced air.

Just so you know (if you are located in the USA and Canada), this information is located in the Owner's Login Website - https://www.brother-usa.com/IndPrintSewEmb/GarmentPrinters/Owner/Login.aspx. After you login, click on the link for GT-3 Series Reference Guide: Tips & Tricks. Then click the link for Heating Equipment for curing pretreatment and inks.

Best wishes,

Mark

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and I do have the forced air. Dryer recommended by Brother. The gauge temp setting and what it actually is seems to be heating at the actual belt level is the issue I'm having. The lower temp seems to give it a much smoother feel, higher temp dries out so I'm trying to find that happy medium.

· Registered
4,624 Posts
Bill,

Just like a heat press, there is always the chance the the reading is not accurate. So you could get a temperature gauge from www.cooper-atkins.com. It is 93816-K Screen Print Kit. This will help you dial it in the exact setting and help you through your testing process.

If you do lower the temperature, just increase the dwell time. I know some companies that run the shirts through twice, but that seems like a lot of extra work for me keeping track of the # of times.

Best wishes,

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.