T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

When printing white ink and white under-base prints onto dark t-shirts I am getting a sticky shiny finish after curing which is undesirable.

Here is the printing process I am using:

1.Press the garment with silicone paper to iron out any creases and have flat surface.

2.Pre treat the garment with horizontal passes left to right and the top to bottom with Wagner spray gun, (looks wet when it hits the garment with the vertical passes but sinks into the fabric and goes fuzzy (misting like dew on grass).

3. I then use a foam roller to roll the pre treat into the garment leaving a big dark square (no pressure).

4. I then press the shirt with parchment paper for 3-5 seconds (very little pressure) and take off then press without paper for a further 20-30 seconds (heavy pressure)

5. After printing the garment I place onto heat press and close on lightest pressure (not touching the garment but hovering above around 2-3 cm off) i do this for about 30 seconds. The i press with silicone paper for 3 minutes.

Also i use a curing insert board to put inside of the garment when curing the ink, but i find when I take the finished t-shirt off the press it has a sticking thin plastic feel to it very much like a transfer would, I am not using Teflon paper either. I really really want a soft matte finish that doesn't feel rubber. I want the dark t-shirts to feel as close as possible to the white CMYK prints i do (no texture to them).

We are fairly new to DTG Printing (only couple of months) and there is so many variables. Is there something i am doing wrong or missing out? How do everyone else do this? would be interesting for other people to post their process for printing.

Also we use Gildan premium 100% ring spun cotton t-shirts and fined that coloured shirts especially black and navy have terrible fibrillation. so many garment fibres poking through the white under-base giving it a dirty looking print, what t-shirts do other use? We tested on super premium FOTL and also on Russell J155 Slim T with fantastic results.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I have realised this is a very tricking business when just starting out.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hi everyone,

When printing white ink and white under-base prints onto dark t-shirts I am getting a sticky shiny finish after curing which is undesirable.

Here is the printing process I am using:

1.Press the garment with silicone paper to iron out any creases and have flat surface.

2.Pre treat the garment with horizontal passes left to right and the top to bottom with Wagner spray gun, (looks wet when it hits the garment with the vertical passes but sinks into the fabric and goes fuzzy (misting like dew on grass).

3. I then use a foam roller to roll the pre treat into the garment leaving a big dark square (no pressure).

4. I then press the shirt with parchment paper for 3-5 seconds (very little pressure) and take off then press without paper for a further 20-30 seconds (heavy pressure)

5. After printing the garment I place onto heat press and close on lightest pressure (not touching the garment but hovering above around 2-3 cm off) i do this for about 30 seconds. The i press with silicone paper for 3 minutes.

Also i use a curing insert board to put inside of the garment when curing the ink, but i find when I take the finished t-shirt off the press it has a sticking thin plastic feel to it very much like a transfer would, I am not using Teflon paper either. I really really want a soft matte finish that doesn't feel rubber. I want the dark t-shirts to feel as close as possible to the white CMYK prints i do (no texture to them).

We are fairly new to DTG Printing (only couple of months) and there is so many variables. Is there something i am doing wrong or missing out? How do everyone else do this? would be interesting for other people to post their process for printing.

Also we use Gildan premium 100% ring spun cotton t-shirts and fined that coloured shirts especially black and navy have terrible fibrillation. so many garment fibres poking through the white under-base giving it a dirty looking print, what t-shirts do other use? We tested on super premium FOTL and also on Russell J155 Slim T with fantastic results.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I have realised this is a very tricking business when just starting out.
Hi,

The sticky feel is the white ink not cured enough. When you have finished the 3 minute press remove the paper and carry on hovering while the print is still hot. You will see a lot is steam, keep hovering for a while.

That particular ink is designed for no circulation which is correct for your printer. This means it will take longer to cure out as it has a different formula than the iWICS version.

Hope this helps

Regards

Colin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts