T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi just want to know the deal is between people using plastisol over water based inks? i have read posts of which people say something about plastisols are a pain to cure and water based have improved as to what they have before. in my situation, i am just about to get my 4 color press soon, and the screens to go with it. my dilemma is finding good plastisol inks or water based inks, and also a curer to dry it. i saw someone use something that looked like a hair dryer to dry the ink on the shirt, i want something like that as i don't want to buy something thats thousands of dollars on a heat press or something similar to it just to dry the ink, i also don't want to put my shirt in the oven as i've heard someone suggest =P

i want to know how much is that hair dryer thing and what inks is suitable for that??

thank you

·
Registered
911 Posts
That hair dryer is actually a heat gun available at all hardware stores...Waterbased inks dry fast in your screens unless you add a retarder to slow the drying process, I use plastisol because of all the effects you can do with them. Whatever you go with spend some money on a infra red type thermometre to check your heat temps. All your questions have been answered if you search this forum.
Happy Printing
-g-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet thanks! yeah i was watching someone on youtube say it was 30 seconds or so, but i'll look into it =]

·
Registered
911 Posts
good for both. Get a thermometer to help judge your temps. A properly cured print will stretch when pulled with out cracking. The heat gun is a pain but will get you started.

·
Registered
911 Posts
..well, it is a gun shaped device with a laser on it, when you point and click it will read the temp where the laser light is at...my computer monitor is 31.2 c

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
hi just want to know the deal is between people using plastisol over water based inks?
It's the default for basic commercial screenprinting, and plenty of people never get around to looking beyond the default. Other than that, there are some things plastisol can do that waterbased inks can't accomplish - especially relevant with sports' uniforms. Vice versa is also true though. Most speciality inks (e.g. glow in the dark, discharge, puff, etc.) are available in both types.

It depends what you're doing. For commercial printing, plastisol is usually better. For fashion printing, waterbased is better.

i want to know how much is that hair dryer thing and what inks is suitable for that??
While a heat gun can cure both waterbased and plastisol inks, it's not actually good for curing either. It's very much a manual process, you can't just hit a button and forget about it. It's also unreliable - if you miss a section, it might not be fully cured, if you accidentally linger you might burn a section, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts