T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone , i have a Question about curing plastizol inks ,
is it better to final cure it under flash curer , or under Press ?

the quality is the main variable here , which will give me best results ?

· Registered
1,178 Posts
I bought a pint of ink to play around with, and I only have a clam shell press here at work, I let the press hover over the shirt for about 30 seconds at 376 degrees, then pressed it down with the Teflon sheet for 15 seconds and it cured just fine

· Registered
742 Posts
Curing with a heat press is easy. Just flash to touch dry, use a sheet of nonstick baking paper on the print, press at low pressure for 15-20 seconds at 320F and let it cool a bit before removing. Much faster, a lot more even and far less likely to scorch than a flash plus you're not cooking your platens to the point of warping. The paper is cheap, available just about everywhere and doesn't leave a glossy sheen on the ink.

· Registered
359 Posts
Curing with a heat press is easy. Just flash to touch dry, use a sheet of nonstick baking paper on the print, press at low pressure for 15-20 seconds at 320F and let it cool a bit before removing. Much faster, a lot more even and far less likely to scorch than a flash plus you're not cooking your platens to the point of warping. The paper is cheap, available just about everywhere and doesn't leave a glossy sheen on the ink.
So is baking paper better than teflon then?

· Administrator
18,944 Posts
hi everyone , i have a Question about curing plastizol inks ,
is it better to final cure it under flash curer , or under Press ?

the quality is the main variable here , which will give me best results ?
Something that just occurred to me; we don't know if you are shopping for a heat source, or deciding which one of the two you already have that you want to use.

If you're deciding which one of the two to buy, get a heat press. (Preferably one with the hover option). You'll be able to use it for more things (vinyl, plastisol transfers, inkjet transfers, sublimation, etc.) than a flash dryer.

If you already have both, I like curing with my flash rather than my heat press.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Something that just occurred to me; we don't know if you are shopping for a heat source, or deciding which one of the two you already have that you want to use.

If you're deciding which one of the two to buy, get a heat press. (Preferably one with the hover option). You'll be able to use it for more things (vinyl, plastisol transfers, inkjet transfers, sublimation, etc.) than a flash dryer.

If you already have both, I like curing with my flash rather than my heat press.
yes i have both , the problem i faced is that when doing several copies , it takes long time to pre-cure the ink under flash curer then press it . can i just use my flash cure for the same quality resulted from the press ?

if yes , what is the temp. and time required when using flash curer ? i am using 4 halogen lamp 1.2Kw each falsh curer .

· Administrator
18,944 Posts
yes i have both , the problem i faced is that when doing several copies , it takes long time to pre-cure the ink under flash curer then press it . can i just use my flash cure for the same quality resulted from the press ?

if yes , what is the temp. and time required when using flash curer ? i am using 4 halogen lamp 1.2Kw each falsh curer .
Yes, to me just using just the flash is so much better, and quicker. You eliminate the flat, sometimes shiny, look a press will give you.

If you don't have one, get a temperature gun. The ink needs to reach at least 320 degrees F under your flash. However long that takes is the time you should be using. For me it's about 30 seconds.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, to me just using just the flash is so much better, and quicker. You eliminate the flat, sometimes shiny, look a press will give you.

If you don't have one, get a temperature gun. The ink needs to reach at least 320 degrees F under your flash. However long that takes is the time you should be using. For me it's about 30 seconds.
thanks a lot for your important notice , i will get the tem. gun . thanks man :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.