T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has experience applying crystals to t-shirts. I bought a Bejeweler and hot fixed the swarovski crystals, then I washed it (regular cycle) and most of them fell off. I have t-shirts that I have purchased few t-shis with crystals on them and I have washed them in the regular wash several times and they never fall off. Is there something I am doing wrong? or would the crystals be more secure snapping them through the fabric using a Bedazzler. Please help. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
i do lots of rhinestone t-shirts. i normally purchase pre-designed motif that are heat pressed to the shirt. i find that they work best on 100% cotton shirts, not the baby doll type or the ribbed beater style shirts. i do lots of them on the beaters but you really have to pre-press heavy to get the ribs out before setting the design.

you also must tell the customer NO HEAT. no hot water, no heat drying. they will come off.

ps. heat press twice. first time the let cool to cold before peeling off tape. once completely cold. i re heat press with teflon sheet.

trina

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. What about a Bedazzler, do you think they will stay on if I apply them with that? Do you think with the Bedazzler they can be washed in a regular wash cycle and put in the dryer?

kwjelliot said:
i do lots of rhinestone t-shirts. i normally purchase pre-designed motif that are heat pressed to the shirt. i find that they work best on 100% cotton shirts, not the baby doll type or the ribbed beater style shirts. i do lots of them on the beaters but you really have to pre-press heavy to get the ribs out before setting the design.

you also must tell the customer NO HEAT. no hot water, no heat drying. they will come off.

ps. heat press twice. first time the let cool to cold before peeling off tape. once completely cold. i re heat press with teflon sheet.

trina

·
Registered
87 Posts
I also do hot fix crystals. If your crystals fell off in wash you probably didn't heat set them long enough for the glue to melt into the fabric. After heat setting you should run your fingers across the crystals and they shouldn't move. I have washed all my shirts with hot fix crystals and have never had them fall off. I also dry mine in the dryer on low to med heat. For the ones I sell I suggest line drying to my customers.

As for the bedazzler, I have never used one so I am no help there.

Where do the two of you buy your crystals/rhinestones from?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try again, because I only did it once. The crystals and hotfix tool was given to me by a friend who never used it, so as yet I don't know where I will start buying my crystals from.

crsmith said:
I also do hot fix crystals. If your crystals fell off in wash you probably didn't heat set them long enough for the glue to melt into the fabric. After heat setting you should run your fingers across the crystals and they shouldn't move. I have washed all my shirts with hot fix crystals and have never had them fall off. I also dry mine in the dryer on low to med heat. For the ones I sell I suggest line drying to my customers.

As for the bedazzler, I have never used one so I am no help there.

Where do the two of you buy your crystals/rhinestones from?

·
Registered
17 Posts
the bedazzler is different they are not hotfixed they are fixed to the garmet, like a grommet, threw the fabric of the shirt. they are more expensive that hotfix stones and the backing itches against the skin, i tried putting a piece of embroidery stabilizer behind but that didn't work like i wanted it to. i like it better for jeans and thicker fabrics but since i brought my heat press i don't use it anymore too much trouble.
i have no of those hotfix little soilder iron looking things as well and i find that i would let the tip rest on the stone long enought to actually see the glue melt. that they would set in pretty well.

we sell lots of rhinestone t's at the flea markets so we see lots of folks and better safe than sorry because you will have that one customer that has one stone fall off and they will tell everyone they know. so we tell everyone no heat no heat drying. and honestly i think the loose stones hold up better than the pre-designed motifs, maybe in mass producing they use a cheaper glue or less glue, not sure. but i have never had a custom job loose a rhinestone but i have had pre-designs loose a few,especially on baby doll t's with lycra /spandex in them.

i purchase my loose stones from southerngoose dot com, or from dazzlingdesigns dot com but i am wanting to get a better price so if you all have a few more sources let me know as well.

i have also inquired about machines that set stones for you. the big machine i dont thing they have a name is like 37K so that's way out of my budget but there is a smaller machine doesn't work unmanned like the bigger one but i believe it dispenses the rhinestone where you place the wand, not sure yet if you have any knowledge of those types of machines please share.

I would love to keep this discussion going as i know i have questions, comments, suggestions about rhinestone work and there is not a lot of information out there.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here are a couple of web sites for crystals: creativecrystals.com and www.irononcrystals.com. Trina, I agree there isn't much information out there about crystals/rhinestones. I to would like to keep this discussion going. Just trying to find websites that sell them has been difficult. I do some loose crystals but mostly the predesigned.

mm11981
Have you tried again and any luck?

Cheryl

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I haven't tried again as yet. I am going to on the weekend. :)

crsmith said:
Here are a couple of web sites for crystals: creativecrystals.com and www.irononcrystals.com. Trina, I agree there isn't much information out there about crystals/rhinestones. I to would like to keep this discussion going. Just trying to find websites that sell them has been difficult. I do some loose crystals but mostly the predesigned.

mm11981
Have you tried again and any luck?

Cheryl

·
Registered
17 Posts
i checked out the two weblinks, Cheryl how on earth do you resell those designs at those prices? my favorites are proworldinc dot com and x-itonline dot com they both sell transfers and lots of pre-designed rhinestone transfers, but x-it you have to purchase by the dozen and proworld you get a better price the more you buy.

I hope i am not breaking any rules here but i would love to continue to share what i have learned about the rhinestone side of shirts with you all and learn from you as well. so if i am going to far in my post please let me know, i an not sure if it is allowed to post companies websites here and i have lots of links to share and info so if it is better to get off the board i be emailed katrina at handmade-hotness dot com and i will be glad to share more info, but it may be better to just post here in case someone in the future need the info.
i am going to post some picture to share as soon as i get some time to gather them.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
i am not sure if it is allowed to post companies websites here and i have lots of links to share
Please do share :)

It's only against the rules if you posts link to YOUR company.

But if you have helpful links to other crystal companies that you think will help others in this thread, feel free to share :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Trina,

The prices you see on the websites I gave are for retail, not the wholesale price, and they are Swavorski crystals/rhinestones. I don't know what brand of crystals are on proworldinc.com and x-itonline.com, The price is much cheaper at the sites you gave. I would be interested in any and all websites, or information you have to share. Am looking forward to seeing pictures of your Tee's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
so those are your prices that you sell the shirts for? there are some really cute designs i would like to purchase the transfers if possible.

i normally don't use the Swavorski crystals because most people don't know the difference. but i don't use the plastic rhinestones either. i am working on my website a bit at a time so it is very incomplete bu i will go now and add a few pictures so that there is something to see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re the BeJeweler. When this happens it is either usually because you waited too long to apply the crystal or did not wait long enough. Try this and let us know:

Please make sure you use the correct size tip to pick up the crystal. If you place the crystal on the fabric first and then put the tip on it, you cannot see when the glue is ready.

Gently pick up the crystal and wait until the glue starts to melt - it will look shiny - do not wait until it bubbles (it is starting to dry at that point).

Immediately place the crystal straight down onto your fabric and lift the tip. Try not to push down when picking up or placing the crystal. This can make it stick in the tip. Should this happen, just slide a pin or thin card into the slot on the tip and push the crystal out - hold the tip just barely above the fabric so you don't waste the crystal.

When you have the crystals on your item, gently rub your fingers over them and make sure there are no loose edges. If there are put the "side" (hold tool at an angle) of the tip onto that crystal for 5-8 seconds.
This should work beautifully. If you have more problems you can google the BeJeweler manufacturer and they will help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
this is a great thread, i came across this website there uk based not sure if they ship internationally i was thinking of buying some singels and just addding them into my designs and in the futer creating whole designs by myself i aslo plan to use an iron as they suggest here's the site:

www.blue-promotions.com

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am doing some crystalizing too with hotfix it works great on textile just make the stones hot enough.

But i also have some problems, i did it on my print of my t-shirts but then they fell off the glue isnt strong enough for prints i think. any suggestions ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts