T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer who wants a photo printed on a shirt cropped in the shape of a circle. does anyone know how to crop a photo into a circle or other shape other than a square or rectangle.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Create a new layer above the art layer. Create a circle with the elliptical marquee tool where you want to crop the artwork. Click the "add layer mask" button on the layers toolbox to the layer with the circle. It should create a layer mask in the shape of the circle. Drag the layer mask icon (layer toolbox) to the artwork layer. It should crop out everything outside of the circle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I figured it out! Open photo drag circle with eliptacle marquis tool where you want to crop photo go to layers and layer mask, reveal selection and everything outside circle is removed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when I open up photo in layers toolbox it shows it only as background? yours shows layer1 as a transparency and the L1 copy as the photo?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
first,how are you making layer1.. your pic shows L1 highlighted and its transparent but there is the pic to the left?. start with bg layer. I'm missing something!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
when I open up photo in layers toolbox it shows it only as background? yours shows layer1 as a transparency and the L1 copy as the photo?
If when you open the original photo it says "Background" in the layers pallet, double click it in the layers pallet and name the layer. That action converts if from background to a layer.

To make a elliptical crop, make the selection with the elliptical marque tool, then right click and select 'Layer Via Copy". That drops the elliptical selection on a new layer leaving the original intact on it's own layer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dbl clicked on bg layer renamed as L1 dragged circle over desired area r clicked, clicked layer via copy, that made layer2 showing cropped circle, then I clicked on eye and made L1 invisible and got image in circle with nothing outside of circle. I repeated it a couple times to make sure I got it. whew! A bit different from your pics but I don't care how I get there as long as I can get there Thanks! sorry it took so much! it's not alway easy teaching via email. I really appreciate it!!!! you and everone on this forum are great! now I can finish shirt . Next I'll post on how to do this with shapes and text. I hope you online when I post! Thanks again!
Gary
tshirtguy2006

·
Registered
53 Posts
Try the following. Open image in ps editor. Drag eliptical marquee tool onto image and place where needed. Left click onto 'select', left click onto "inverse".
Now use eraser tool to make area outside of eliptical shape transparent. Save image.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts