T-Shirt Forums banner

Cricut Vinyl Cutting Issues Please Help - Pics Attached

6K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  noahenholm 
#1 ·
Hi all

Newbie here, I'm using Hotflex from MDP and my cricut machine is catching on the letters. The cut lines are also not clean. I've attached pics. Have tried using the washi tape setting and increasing and decreasing the pressure but to no avail. Have also attached the image file at 200% zoom so you can see the image I'm using in Cricut has clean corners.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
you are cutting way too deep and probably too fast

you want a faint outline in the carrier sheet (like a kiss), not actually cutting into the carrier

also, you should have some sort of test cut function on your cricut,
use that to dial in your settings before cutting for real

#4 ·
Thank you @Angela-L I can't see those settings but it does feel like a calibration issue or something is not lining up properly. I Googled what you said and there was something about settings where the blade comes out at a corner to start a new line as opposed to pivoting still in the material but I could only see those articles for the silhouette and nothing for the Cricut

@into the T thanks yes I realised this and have adjusted the cutting depth but I've attached two more pics and you can see the png file I'm sending to cricut is absolutely not what is being cut out. Lines aren't straight and corners aren't crisp so it's not replicating what's send. The size of the cut out is 3" width. Do I maybe need a smaller blade?

Thanks both for your help so far

#11 ·
Ah, no worries. As I say, I don't have a Cricut to try things out, but I know my Silver Bullet cutter produces much the same cuts when the blade offset is set incorrectly.

These blades act much like castors, so the tip of the blade is offset a small amount from the centreline of the blade holder, which is why you need to set this correctly. Obviously, a pen needs no offset.

#19 ·
i think we are missing where she said 'png'
this may be a conversion to vector issue

does it cut like this when you simply type into cricut design space and cut?

you need to find a closest font in your cricut design space, or zoom in and adjust individual nodes
can you upload the whole design here, and i can convert it and send it back

#21 · (Edited)
well, we are getting somewhere

try cutting at a high speed and make your depth also very low (don't worry about cutting all the way through) on a few letters, then do a visual inspection to see if they are perfect cutlines

are you cutting on a mat, if not do that?
it could be your vinyl is moving slightly

on my cameo i have 'segment overcut' so the blade does not pivot on corners
look for something similar on your cricut

if there is a 'factory reset' on your machine settings i would recommend doing that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.