T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just started doing decals just basic numbers and shapes for ourselves atm
but have been looking in to what i can do to expand it a bit
a friend is needing his sprint car redone and i was wondering how i would create the decals for his sponsorship stuff thats already on his car?
first off i dont know the fonts used but i have pictures of it all.
what ways can i go about doing it?
some have a small logo or design with it eg an automotive service with a spanner
would you manually create them all by using corel draw or....?

i have cut studio and corel draw and have been having a bit of a play with both i havent mastered the programs but have a fair understanding on how to create the shapes but i can see doing it all manually would be very time consuming

·
Registered
702 Posts
Have him contact his sponsors to send you the vector logos. If they refuse, then you don't have the rights to re-create any brand name logos and he will have to re-buy them from whoever is licensed to create them.

·
Registered
702 Posts
It won't hurt to ask and it will save you a lot of time if they do. If they don't, and you are not experienced enough with your software, you may have to hire a graphic designer to do it for you.

·
Registered
702 Posts
In which case you would not have permission to do it. Just because it's not UP-Ex or Copsi-Cola doesn't mean that there isn't copyright protection. If another print shop did the graphics and the owner didn't pay for the full copyright transfer, then only that print shop can legally produce the decals.

Of course if the original designer is out of business or dead, then you would have to recreate it yourself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok
if its there company logo and someone else created a decal for them would they get the vector logo or would they have to pay more for it
as its there logo i would be able to create it again with there permission of course

so would most business have a vector logo or most not worry about it?

·
Registered
702 Posts
If the company paid for full copyright ownership of their art, then they would probably have been given the original artwork for it. Depending on how old the company is, and what the designer used, it may be vector, it may be a bitmap/raster, or it may be hand drawn art.

The only way you're going to know is to call each company and ask them if they have the files. If they email them to you, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they say no, but I can send you a business card/letterhead with it on it, then ask them who has the original artwork. Then call them. If they don't do decals, they may be more than happy to give you the artwork. If they do it themselves, and still own the artwork, then if your friend wants new decals he has to go to them to get it.

I honestly don't understand why he hasn't contacted the sponsors himself and asked for new decals. If he wants you to do it because they're asking him to pay for new ones, it's not legal for you to copy someone else's art.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.