T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone , im wanting to create tshirts under my own "brand name" (like nike, echo, drunknmunky...) but i dont fully understand the political side of it all. I wanted to use a specific heavywieght tshirt (im checking out proclub right now) i was planing on starting with a few designs getting them printed on the shirts.. and basically start there.. but then i relized that the proclub lable would still be in the back of the shirt, and i wouldnt be selling my brand of shirts, i would be selling proclub shirts with my pretty little graphics on them. So my questions are, how do i establish an actual "brand name" is there something to it, and how would i get my own lables put onto a specific shirt? thanks so much for any help

·
Registered
402 Posts
re: create tshirts under my own "brand name" - do I just relabel the t-shirts?

Just cut the labels out and sew in your own. Or print / screen a label in there yourself. I'm going to do that when I realise my line of tees.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

is it posible to get into any legal problems doing that?

·
Registered
69 Posts

Mailman, if your budget is tight, you could just cut out their tag and just leave the one with the care and size on it. You legally have to have car instructions, but thats it.

Its actually quite sad if you walk into any major department store, a lot of t-shirt lines dont even bother putting a tag in and you can cleary see the american apparel or hanes tag underneath.

But, if you want tags made they cost about 10-50 cents depending on quality. Do a google search.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts

Actually, most actualy customers (the people that pay money to buy the shirts) don't care in the slightest about what "tag" is in the label.

Mostly that is for the vanity of the company, not for any customer benefit. As twin85 says, you can walk into many retail stores and see custom designs on any major brand t-shirts.

So my advice would be to not worry too much about the brand, because it won't hurt your sales. It could even help your sales if customers know that they are buying shirts from a manufacturer they trust, rather than some no-name company.

People will specfically ask for Hanes or American Apparel shirts, but you'll be hard pressed to find someone asking for no-name brand tees. Customers just don't care.

If you are just starting out, I think worry about neck labels can be a distraction from getting your product out there and making sales.

You can create a brand by the designs on your shirts, and even branding the back of the shirt around the neckline (outside) or on the sleeves. Make an unobtrusive small logo and place it on the sleeve or back neckline and you'll have a much better start at branding yourself (because people will actually SEE it, and it won't get ripped out like many neck tags do).

Once you start selling some shirts, it's easy to find a printer that will relabel shirts for you if you decide to go that route. You can buy labels from companies like DJ's Labels and then just have them remove the brand tag or you can buy shirts direct from the manufacturer without the labels.

If you're talking about Nike, Echo, etc, those are large corporations that are actually selling a brand of t-shirt. They actually have the garments made to their specifications by the factory by the thousands. That is a true t-shirt brand. Even some of the larger fashion labels got their start printing on Hanes or Gildan shirts and then moving on up to their own factory made tees.

If you're just starting out selling t-shirt designs, then use the printing to establish your brand. Worry about the garment brand later.

That's just my opinion though :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

thanks so much , cleared up all my worries :)

·
Registered
263 Posts

Mailman2, where did you get your ProClub shirt from? I looked at their website and they only sell by the dozen. I'd like to see how their pricing per shirts are but more importantly the quality... I've heard some good things about their quality but I'd like to see it for myself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts

ok I might be dumb by asking this but does that mean it is perfectly legal to use your trademarked logo on a hanes or gildan shirt and sell it as your product?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

That's what these companies make the shirts for, they are for printers, garment decorators etc to put their designs on and sell. They are in the business of supplying blank t-shirts to other companies, if they did'nt want anyone to print on their t-shirts they would print on them themselves.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Actually, most actualy customers (the people that pay money to buy the shirts) don't care in the slightest about what "tag" is in the label.

Mostly that is for the vanity of the company, not for any customer benefit. As twin85 says, you can walk into many retail stores and see custom designs on any major brand t-shirts.

So my advice would be to not worry too much about the brand, because it won't hurt your sales. It could even help your sales if customers know that they are buying shirts from a manufacturer they trust, rather than some no-name company.

People will specfically ask for Hanes or American Apparel shirts, but you'll be hard pressed to find someone asking for no-name brand tees. Customers just don't care.

If you are just starting out, I think worry about neck labels can be a distraction from getting your product out there and making sales.

You can create a brand by the designs on your shirts, and even branding the back of the shirt around the neckline (outside) or on the sleeves. Make an unobtrusive small logo and place it on the sleeve or back neckline and you'll have a much better start at branding yourself (because people will actually SEE it, and it won't get ripped out like many neck tags do).

Once you start selling some shirts, it's easy to find a printer that will relabel shirts for you if you decide to go that route. You can buy labels from companies like DJ's Labels and then just have them remove the brand tag or you can buy shirts direct from the manufacturer without the labels.

If you're talking about Nike, Echo, etc, those are large corporations that are actually selling a brand of t-shirt. They actually have the garments made to their specifications by the factory by the thousands. That is a true t-shirt brand. Even some of the larger fashion labels got their start printing on Hanes or Gildan shirts and then moving on up to their own factory made tees.

If you're just starting out selling t-shirt designs, then use the printing to establish your brand. Worry about the garment brand later.

That's just my opinion though :)
This was very helpful to me as I had some similar questions as to use the major brands (Hanes, Gildan, etc.) to bring some validity of the quality of our shirts or try to make a brand name out of our shirts from the start. What you said makes much more sense. Thanks for posting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts