T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my question is not so much how to, but the best way to.

Bitmap image starts in GIMP to edit, then I need a cut path saved to an SVG file.

When I google, many of the articles that pop up say to first create the path in GIMP then export path and then open in Inkscape for further edit.

It seems to me that exporting the PNG from GIMP and importing that bitmap into Inkscape and then tracing the path is better, because the tracing is easier. I feel like maybe I'm missing something?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you do...
The "Selection to path" option is much easier... sometimes instant.
You can select by color, or using the magic wand, or any of the other selection tools.
You can also shrink or expand the selection with a few clicks.
Ah, thank you Professor. I thought I had to manually create the path in GIMP.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
are you just trying to create an outline path for print & cut scenarios?

or creating a complete vector path to recreate/approximate an image for cutting htv?

can you post an example image?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
are you just trying to create an outline path for print & cut scenarios?

or creating a complete vector path to recreate/approximate an image for cutting htv?

can you post an example image?
I use both GIMP and Inkscape. I'll import stock SVG into Inkscape for creating designs for HTV cutting, or to create simple graphics (like logos). I've done a bit of print & cut (EasySubli and Subliflex 202), mostly tracing cut lines in Design Space until now, and expect to do much more in the future. I know the path tools in Inkscape are superior, and I had found the GIMP menu item to create and edit paths, but just didn't know there were other features to easily create and manage paths. Found it now, I'm good, thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts