T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am currently using Corel draw and am trying to make my design look hand drawn. I want to make my lines look more rough rather than a typical clean vectored line.

I have found a tutorial on YouTube where the person produced an illustration which had the very same effect I'm looking for. However they were using Adobe illustrator and the 'wrinkle tool'.

I was wondering if Corel draw had the same tool or equivalent. I've tried to roughen the edges but it's not the same. I've attached a photo of a screenshot from the tutorial I watched.

Thank you.

Attachments

· Registered
4,871 Posts
Hi, I am currently using Corel draw and am trying to make my design look hand drawn. I want to make my lines look more rough rather than a typical clean vectored line.

I have found a tutorial on YouTube where the person produced an illustration which had the very same effect I'm looking for. However they were using Adobe illustrator and the 'wrinkle tool'.

I was wondering if Corel draw had the same tool or equivalent. I've tried to roughen the edges but it's not the same. I've attached a photo of a screenshot from the tutorial I watched.

Thank you.
CorelDRAW X7 and X8 have subset tools of the shape tool that will distort curves.

Under the shape tool flyout list are Smear, Attract, Repel and Roughen.

There are YouTube videos but mostly non English language. The videos show closed curve. The tools can be used on open curve also.

· Registered
1,534 Posts
The various tools mentioned by Lnfortun should definitely do the trick. It's just a matter of how much or how little you effect the art with these tools. By the way, the tool shown in your Illustrator image, Simplify, is actually a tool to reduce the number of nodes. It tends to clean up lines and make them smoother rather than the opposite. For making lines look hand drawn, Illustrator has the exact same tools as CorelDraw.

· Registered
4,706 Posts
in drawplus i draw bezier's, increase line width to where i want,
then i 'detach as new object'
this gives it a hand-drawn with different pen-pressures look

not sure if corel has this, but thought i'd throw it out there

· Registered
4,871 Posts
There is actually Freehand tool that you can use to draw. Click Freehand or press F5. Change the Freehand smoothing value to get the effect you want. If it is too rugged fix it with Smooth tool. If it is too smooth change it with Roughen, Attract, Repel or Smear tool.

You can also smoothen rugged curve by using the Shape tool. Click the shape tool or press F10. Click the curve . Click Select All menu item in the properties menu bar of the Shape tool or press Ctrl A. Change the Reduce Nodes value of the menu item to desired curve smoothness. If the value is too much or too little undo it by pressing Ctrl Z then reenter a new value. Or you can move or delete individual or group of nodes with the shape tool.

To familiarize you on how to use any of those tools show the Hints in the docker window. If it is not shown click Window > Dockers > Hints. Hints for for the selected tool will be displayed in the Hints docker window.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big thank you to everyone for the quick, awesome, response, much appreciated. After a couple of you guys mentioned 'Drawplus', I decided to have a look as I hadn't heard of it. I like the look of it and am interested in getting it. However I also noticed the same company produced 'Affinity Design' and was wondering which one would be worth purchasing?? Any info would be much appreciated, thankyou.

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Both DrawPlus and Affinity Designer will work for what you're trying to do here. DrawPlus has some good tools that are missing from Affinity Designer and Designer has some new features that were never in DrawPlus. DrawPlus is discontinued and will receive no updates or support. Not that Serif has ever been good about updates or support. If your budget is really tight, then DrawPlus is a no brainer. It's a heck of a deal for 25 dollars and has better brush tools than Affinity Designer. If you ever decide to hand draw things, it's a really solid piece of software for that. While you're looking into that, you should also look into another discontinued piece of superb software, but this one is free. Microsoft's Expression Design. Curiously, it shares the name with Serif's Affinity Designer, and also the clever brush system. Microsoft discontinued it a few years ago and now gives it away for free. Trust me though, it is a really nice piece of software. Don't let the Microsoft name fool you, they didn't create it. They acquired it from an earlier company and developed it a little more.

· Registered
4,706 Posts
i have not played around too much with microsoft expression,
but i thought the ability to export in different formats was lacking, like, you could not export to svg
(ok, it is a pdf export for vector file format)

it is a 'large' program and has many features,
forum for tutorials/answers is here

· Registered
1,534 Posts
i have not played around too much with microsoft expression,
but i thought the ability to export in different formats was lacking, like, you could not export to svg
(ok, it is a pdf export for vector file format)

it is a 'large' program and has many features,
forum for tutorials/answers is here
I think, like with Serif software there's some confusion caused by the hybrid brush. The unique brush in both these programs is a vector path with a bitmap image mapped to it. This brush can appear just like a vector, but may not be a vector. If you export that from either program, you get a bitmap image in the pdf export. That much is not wrong. If you export pure vectors from either program you should get pure vectors in the pdf export.

One other thing about Expression Design is that it could export to layered photoshop files. DrawPlus could not do that. Affinity Designer has the option but is too buggy to use. Still, DrawPlus has the best brush engine out of the three. I draw on layers then aggravatingly export 1 layer at a time and rebuild in Photoshop.

Now Photoshop is the real beast. It does everything you even imagine you might need. For example, I can open one of those exported layers as a photoshop file, then select all the rest and drag and drop them into the same Photoshop document, rebuilding the art, almost automated. Photoshop does the same thing in the opposite direction. It can export it's own layers to separate documents, fully automated. I use this function to actually make brushes for DrawPlus. This is why Adobe is so great. Illustrator too.

I convert Illustrator brushes for use in DrawPlus. There's one feature that is really helpful. Illustrator can send separate objects or groups of objects to separate layers, creating the layers in the process. It's perfect. Take an Illustrator brush set and send it's individual parts to separate layers. Open that in Photoshop with all layers intact. Then export all of those separate layers to separate files, automated. Create an action to do a little processing along the way, and the correct format for DrawPlus and you have all the pieces to import the Illustrator brush into DrawPlus. Where the vector version of the brush is dog slow in Illustrator, it's blazing fast in DrawPlus as a high resolution bitmap version of it's former self. If art absolutely must be vector, you can vectorize it when done creating the art.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.