T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember a few months ago someone ordered $600 of t-shirts from my spreadshirt shop? They just now did a charge back. Spreadshirt now has subtracted the $250 commission they had given me before. I'd like to kill the jerk that made this order. I recommend not taking any orders that seem crazy, or at least you should get a check or money order and then wait until it clears at the bank before you send out t-shirts. Don't take credit card payments for garbage like this.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Did the order happen to come from Africa? More direct did it come from the Congo area? If so go google up fraud and money schemes? Man I cant remember the specific country but I think their whole national economy is based on fraud.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Excuse me If I seem green, what is a charge back?
You said they they got the commission so it was not an entire loss or am I wrong about that? I think that you were robbed and the credit card company should pay you back.
Thank you for sharing this so that others can be on the alert.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually lost $9 because that's the fee paypal charged when Spreadshirt sent the commission to my paypal account. And I have to pay back to Spreadshirt the commission they gave me for this order.

A chargeback is when a customer tells the credit card company to take back the money they paid to the business because the customer refuses to pay it.

The order came from Utah.

·
Registered
9,256 Posts
What are the rest of the details? Is there a reason for the chargeback?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Strange that it took so long. You'd think that if the card was stolen it would be quicker, and if it wasn't stolen it wouldn't be an issue since delivery would be easy to prove.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
>>> Is there a reason for the chargeback?

I think the guy is just some scumb bag or crazy person who felt like getting 30 t-shirts for free. Maybe he was using a stolen credit card. I dunno. I'm assuming he kept the t-shirts.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I wouldnt assume anything. If you had a store and someone ordered from you directly, you produced the product and shipped it on condition or actual payment...why would you refund the money if the product wasnt returned? I know you are on a fullfillment site but whats to keep this from happening time and time again. What is the return policy on the site? Is it a scam?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
>>why would you refund the money if the product wasnt returned?

That's how chargebacks work. If the credit card company tells you the customer filed for a chargeback, then you have to return the money to the credit card company no matter what. That's why I say don't take any huge orders via credit card. If it's a huge order, make sure there's no way the customer can take back their money after you deliver the shirts.

I don't know if Spreadshirt is going to try to get their money from the customer a different way or maybe file a negative report on the customer's credit record or something else.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I know how chargebacks work but the customer doesnt keep the merchandise. Your fullfillment site should have some sort of policy in reguards to sales, shipping, refunds, chargebacks all within some sort of timeframe. If the policy is just open ended and you get a chargeback everytime your product is sold or shipped and the merchandise isnt returned everyone would be out of business.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
That's how chargebacks work. If the credit card company tells you the customer filed for a chargeback, then you have to return the money to the credit card company no matter what. That's why I say don't take any huge orders via credit card. If it's a huge order, make sure there's no way the customer can take back their money after you deliver the shirts.
We take credit card payments for large dollar amounts every day. It's not that much of a concern when you are doing the normal fraud screening and taking the standard precautions.

Spreadshirt probably has more information on the reason for the chargeback. They probably don't share this information with the spreadshirt store owner though.

It could have been misprints that they didn't take back, it could have been that the customer never received the items. It could have been a fraudulent order that slipped through the fraud screening cracks.

We don't really know the whole story here, so it doesn't help to speculate too much :)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Rodney said:
It could have been misprints that they didn't take back, it could have been that the customer never received the items. It could have been a fraudulent order that slipped through the fraud screening cracks.
This is why putting your customer relations/interation/product creation in the hands of a third party is dangerous, and does not a sound business model make :)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
From what I remember it was clearly a fraudulent order from the start... that's why I don't get why it worked. Proper precautions should have been taken to prevent these events unfolding. I'm guessing that was up to Spreadshirt because I'm guessing the store owner doesn't have much control over that sort of thing, but I don't know exactly how their system works.

So did they take back the comission, but take responsibility for the cost of the shirts, etc. themselves? That's something at least.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
>>So did they take back the comission, but take responsibility for the
>>cost of the shirts, etc. themselves? That's something at least.

Yeah they only took back the commission.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
This guy definitely has the shirts. Either he used a stolen credit card, or lied to the credit card company, and said he never got the shirts. If the order sounds too good to be true, its too good to be true. Seriously though, I would sue the guy. You would still probably never get paid...Thats just me though, I would do everything I could to ruin his life.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
yeah.. its a shame when you lose out on a charge back claim when you know that there is no justified reason for it.

too bad you don't have more control over this transaction, if you did then you would be able to deal with the credit card company directly and enforce your case and terms of sale etc.

As for flying off the handle and turn into a vigilante, i say it's not worth it, take the high road and move on to do what you enjoy and forget about it.

Some times things come to you when you least expect them, may be the credit card company will eventually catch on to this SHAME peeper and reverse the transaction.... not likely but it does happen.

I was taken for about $ 500 one time, when thru all the proper steps to recoop the money and nothing happened. 6 months later, the cc comp. sent me a letter and the money cause they made a mistake. That was a first for me let me tell you.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
This is why putting your customer relations/interation/product creation in the hands of a third party is dangerous, and does not a sound business model make
I don't think it's dangerous at all and outsourcing fulfillment is done by fortune 500 companies that know about "sound business models".

Everyone that processes transactions will come up against a fraud order or a chargeback at sometime. It's just part of doing business.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts