T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I recently have been having problems with my prints on dark shirts Cracking they seem very crunchy and cracks when you stretch the shirt. These are on 100% cotton, I have a few shirts laying around from 3 weeks ago and they are perfect I'm not sure what has changed or what I am doing differently any ideas?

·
Registered
64 Posts
If your using plastisol maybe try mixing the tub more before using it to print.
If it's not curing thoroughly then that would cause cracking as well but that does not explain crunchy ink or if your deposit is fairly thick maybe it's not curing all the way through the ink leaving a crusty top without fusing the ink underneath.
wooden stir sticks left in the bucket maybe an issue or ink left on screen with masking tape.
Just some ideas maybe you could post a pic of what your seeing happen?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think Justin is using a DTG - not plastisol ink !
I have had the same problem a while ago.
It took me a while till I found the answer:
too little pressure when curing ! Now I cure with very little
pressure for 1-1.5min and then another minute with "more" pressure. That makes the print smooth again.

At least that solved my problem.
You could give it a try ! :)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Also using too much pretreatment can cause this as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I am using a DTG I have tried different pressues and heat when curin, I have tried less pretreatment I guess I will try a little less again. Currently I have a wagner 550 and turned right down it still puts out a hell of alot of pretreat in 1 go.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Play with pressure and pretreat variations.

Try and press the shirt for 15 seconds prior to printing to release any moisture in the garment

Also is the ink old?
Are you using the same type of ink from the same supplier?

Regards
Jerry
DTG Digital

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing that's changed is I just brought a new bottle of pretreat and a wagner 550 I have previously been using a compressed air powered spray painting gun. Soon as I get home ill try even less pretreat.

The Prints look excellent but seem very dry and not rubbery after I cure.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I would bet it is too much pretreat compared to what you had before.

Also, as mentioned, use a light pressure. The reason is so the water vapor can escape more easily. My experience is that too much pressure cause inks to fade in the wash because they were not fully cured.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help still yet to get home and try it, I noticed this wagner 550 is slightly different with the ink pot / nozzle having a tube coming out of the top and into the bottom my old wagner gun didn't have this, Is there anything I should do differently it seems so spray heaps more then what I want even when turned down.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Justin,

Try pressing for one minute and then lift the platen to let steam escape, then press again for another minute.

Give me a call and let me know how it went

Regards
Jerry
DTG Digital

·
Registered
173 Posts
Seems like my heatpress is either to hot or to cold. I dragged the old clam shell style out and it is 100% better prints now feel rubbery not dry and cracked. :) Now I better get my cracking and get these late jobs done.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Must have been too hot. I have had the too cold problem and it does not cure the inks so they wash out.

Glad you found the issue. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts