T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a vinyl cutter that he uses just for auto decals, Glass door signs, and stuff like that. He said If I buy the vinyl I can practice on his cutter prior to buying one of my own.

1. How is vinyl applied? Time, Temp, Pressure, etc. How does it not stick to to top platen? etc.

2. Could I just make up a bunch of a certain text or quote, and keep them for future shirts? Like having stock transfers on hand - only this would be my 'stock' vinyl transfers?
If so, how would I store the cut out vinyl, and how long is the shelf life?

3. Could I use vinyl in conjunction with stock transfers? Example: Use stock transfer from Proworld (maybe a flower or something) and then use vinyl to personalize the shirt? If this CAN be done - have you done it? How does it look? Do the two mediums look okay together?

4. Is there a shelf life for pre-printed transfers - like the stock transfers purchased from Pro-world, etc.?

5. I currently have about 500.00 of stock transfers in my cart for Pro-world, but am now thinking I may need to sample some first or at least get a lot of feedback from you folks on their transfers prior to checking out. Feedback on Pro-world stock transfers?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Couple (or a few) Questions

Also ... do you folks put your logo or site name or anything on your shirts?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts

wow, that is a lot of questions.... thats cool tho. ;)

ProWorld transfers are made by " some " of the industries leading transfer manufacturers.... so dont worrie about quality, they are fine.

You may also want to check out bang-on.ca

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi Pam,

I only use the vinyl right now for designs and do cut out a lot of them ahead of time and store them.

Storing them depends on the vinyl, as some of them you have to be careful not to move the design around or it could come off and be difficult to press. I use TwillUSA which provides a sticky surfcae that holds the design on better than most I've used.

I have had some designs stored for about a year and they work just fine, just try to keep them in an envelope or plastic bin to keep them as clean as you can.

Pressing them is a snap, each manufacturer is a bit different with the time and temperature needed, but when you order they will send you the instructions and settings needed for the heat press.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts

jacsma said:
Maybe I'm blind or stupid - but I don't see how to order transfers from them. Seems you can only LOOK at their designs, and order shirts. ??
i think thats because they make and sell their designs like some other brands do, they are not a Re-Seller " Distributor " type. Just like when you want to order Licensed GM transfers from Impulse for example, NONE of their distributors sell them... you need to buy directly from Impulse.

look for a wholesale link on the site or contact via email.
They also operatea a retail chain, I can understand as to why they may not wholesale to everyone, due to Zonning conflict of interest etc...

Do you like their stuff ?

hope this helps some.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
1. How is vinyl applied? Time, Temp, Pressure, etc. How does it not stick to to top platen? etc.
Varies per manufacturer, however most product applications come in the package or are available online. Use a teflon sheet over top of the design to protect the top platen

2. Could I just make up a bunch of a certain text or quote, and keep them for future shirts? Like having stock transfers on hand - only this would be my 'stock' vinyl transfers? If so, how would I store the cut out vinyl, and how long is the shelf life?
Absolutely. Go with Jims recommendations, but be sure to keep them in a fairly cool climate (humidity or excessive heat will affect the adhesive)

3. Could I use vinyl in conjunction with stock transfers?
Yes, be sure to use a teflon sheet. They look fine together, especially if you use a heat transfer vinyl with a matte finish.

4. Is there a shelf life for pre-printed transfers - like the stock transfers purchased from Pro-world, etc.?
I believe so, you should check the exact life from the supplier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts