T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
328 Posts
Bottom hoop, cut-away backing(s) (to stop stretch), tear-away backing(s) (for extra stability), T-shirt, top hoop (pressed into bottom hoop WITHOUT stretching the t-shirt).
There are quite a few You-Tube videos that should be useful to you as well.

· Registered
40 Posts
Bottom hoop, tear away 40 gram backing - 2 pieces for less dense designs and increase up to around 4 for heavier logos. The backing should be laid out to make a star shape which helps to stabilize the T shirt. Press the top hoop in place. Shouldn't stretch the T shirt too much but the material needs to be tight in the hoop - should be like a drum skin to avoid the puckering etc.

Hope this helps :)

· Registered
2,667 Posts
I only use one piece of medium to heavy cutaway unless its a very light weight T. Then, I use one or two pieces of see-through mesh. When I use two pieces the pieces are placed at a 90 angle from each other. I don't think tear-away is necessary with a good weight cutaway unless its a very long running, stitch-intensive design which shouldn't be run on a T-shirt anyway. I also don't run large designs on T's because the fabric isn't strong enough to support lots of stitches. I also don't pull the fabric during the hooping process. Your hooping technique should be smooth enough so that isn't necessary and the tendency is to over pull and create problems in the process. I suggest practicing with a few different designs to see what works for you and in the meantime you'll improve your hooping technique.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.