T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Massive Action Apparel
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have been having printing inconsistencies with Cotton Heritage 100% cotton black t-shirt. Some shirts will come out looking good and some will come out looking terrible. I don't change anything in my process before or after different designs. We also print on our own manufactured 100% cotton t-shirts and we have an amazing printing constituency on them. Sometimes we run out of sizes and we stock up on Cotton Heritage. I have boiled it down to an issue with the garments itself but I am not sure. I have printed the front of a Cotton Heritage t-shirt and it has come out looking not so great and so I run a print head cleaning hoping maybe that would fix an issues. Then I go to print on the back of the same shirt and it comes out looking equally as bad looking. But then I could go and print another Cotton Heritage t-shirt right after and have it looking gorgeous. Has anyone had this issue?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've had something similar happen lately with black Next Level 3600's and my F2100, but I've noticed it's the garment. Some of them will be a bit thicker (and feel rougher) than the other ones, therefore, they need a bit more pre-treatment.

It's a pain.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
As FJG mentioned, I have noticed during the pandemic and supply chain issues, that some brands/styles will suddenly feel different, rougher. My guess is that they resort to using a lower quality cotton due to supply issues. I screen print, not DTG, so can't comment on that aspect, but I can certainly feel the difference.

·
Registered
Massive Action Apparel
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your responses. I will try adjusting pretreat on ones that feel different but the issue is that they look and feel identical for the most part. We get our main supply of garments made overseas so we receive big shipments once or twice a year. Typically it is enough for us to last but we had a massive influx of sales so we have been ordering Cotton Heritage to make up for the items we have sold out of. I'll look into trying out different blanks with my boss.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I have boiled it down to an issue with the garments itself but I am not sure.

I will try adjusting pretreat on ones that feel different but the issue is that they look and feel identical for the most part.
Using mass produced shirts in DTG is a never ending battle.
Here is why...

Mass produced side-seamed tees:
Inconsistency chances: high.
Shirts are cut from 100 yard long layers of fabric,100 or more layers at a time.
Each roll of fabric can cover 2-3 layers... BUT are all rolls from the same batch?
If 3 layers are from a different batch, you could have 3% inconsistency.

Mass produced tubular shirts:
Inconsistency chances: Medium.
Different size means different size tube, and therefore a different batch of fabric.
Usually in this case, same size shirts are from the same batch and print the same.

Small manufacturers have better consistency:
Inconsistency chances: Low.
When all the shirts come from the same roll of fabric, they will all print the same
It's as simple as that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts