T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody
In an attempt to expand business in our small tourist shop, we decided to introduce the sale of T-shirts with our brand embroidered. Specifically we have chosen 3 types of designs: a logo only 3x4 cm, a name 13 cm - 5 in, and a large one, logo + text of 30cm - 12 inch. only one color all of them.
I state that we are inexperienced customer and after collecting some information we relied on a center in a nearby city, unfortunately the results were poor in our opinion, and we do not like the tests carried out, several errors due, we believe, to a very bad digitization. In short, we then managed to have better results in digitization and the tests carried out seemed ok to us, but, the problems continued with the embroidery on the shirt ... for example:
  • The 30cm design was printed at 25cm without warning us that their machine could not embroider at 30cm, and in addition, the result of the embroidery was very bad and far from the test we had in hand.
  • The 3x4cm logo was given to us in 4x5 and embroidered differently from the original DST (it was redone) because their machine couldn't make that stitch. ??? they said..
Tired of all this, we have withdrawn the original DST files, and now we're looking for who can do the job ...
Probably our ignorance is part of the problem, an expert at the start would have chosen an easier design?. I do not know. Also because ours do not seem so complicated to me, they are 2 lines of text, perhaps the 30 cm measurement is excessive since it seems that almost all are limited to 25cm or 10 inch.
- Another problem is that behind the small logo a poorly cut plastic sheet is applied and in my opinion too stiff and when you wear the t-shirt you notice and it is too stiff to the touch. is it really necessary? Is there any better solution?
As you can see we are really inexperienced and I think we need a lot of advice from experienced people, so we turned to this forum, on the other hand we are not producers but customers, I must also say that we are in a small country in Asia, where we have recently resided .
Thanks in advance for your advices ...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Another problem is that behind the small logo a poorly cut plastic sheet is applied and in my opinion too stiff and when you wear the t-shirt you notice and it is too stiff to the touch. is it really necessary? Is there any better solution?
That's the stabilizer and it is necessary for large complex designs on thin fabric.

The 30cm design was printed at 25cm without warning us
I agree with splathead... 30cm embroidery on a T-shirt does not sound like a good idea.
In any case, reducing the design size without asking the customer is unacceptable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys and thanks for your answers.
for obvious reasons I can't post the logos now, maybe in private later, I'll post a photo of the stabilizer, I think it's the most important thing to solve.
Maybe there is an acceptable solution and it is possible to replace it with something lighter and less visible .... is it always necessary to be so thick?
Sometime we all can see embroidery logos in some polos, logos no more than 1 inch but i dont remember to see any stabilizer behind... maybe i mistake...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
That's not too bad. They went for the easy cheaper option of packing it with multiple sheets of stabilizer.
What I would do for my own products is use one sheet of top stabilizer with one sheet of thick tearaway at the back, followed by a soft iron patch after embroidering.
This way the design will stay flat and will not feel rough on the skin. More labor intensive obviously, so it would have to be reflected on the price.
You can still apply an iron on patch to this... It will make it much more tolerable to wear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everybody
In an attempt to expand business in our small tourist shop, we decided to introduce the sale of T-shirts with our brand embroidered. Specifically we have chosen 3 types of designs: a logo only 3x4 cm, a name 13 cm - 5 in, and a large one, logo + text of 30cm - 12 inch. only one color all of them.
I state that we are inexperienced customer and after collecting some information we relied on a center in a nearby city, unfortunately the results were poor in our opinion, and we do not like the tests carried out, several errors due, we believe, to a very bad digitization. In short, we then managed to have better results in digitization and the tests carried out seemed ok to us, but, the problems continued with the embroidery on the shirt ... for example:
  • The 30cm design was printed at 25cm without warning us that their machine could not embroider at 30cm, and in addition, the result of the embroidery was very bad and far from the test we had in hand.
  • The 3x4cm logo was given to us in 4x5 and embroidered differently from the original DST (it was redone) because their machine couldn't make that stitch. ??? they said..
Tired of all this, we have withdrawn the original DST files, and now we're looking for who can do the job ...
Probably our ignorance is part of the problem, an expert at the start would have chosen an easier design?. I do not know. Also because ours do not seem so complicated to me, they are 2 lines of text, perhaps the 30 cm measurement is excessive since it seems that almost all are limited to 25cm or 10 inch.
- Another problem is that behind the small logo a poorly cut plastic sheet is applied and in my opinion too stiff and when you wear the t-shirt you notice and it is too stiff to the touch. is it really necessary? Is there any better solution?
As you can see we are really inexperienced and I think we need a lot of advice from experienced people, so we turned to this forum, on the other hand we are not producers but customers, I must also say that we are in a small country in Asia, where we have recently resided .
Hello everybody
While I’m not an expert on this matter, I must say that everything you pointed out makes me think that you will succeed. Whenever you can, please post some photos about your T-shirts!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's not too bad. They went for the easy cheaper option of packing it with multiple sheets of stabilizer.
What I would do for my own products is use one sheet of top stabilizer with one sheet of thick tearaway at the back, followed by a soft iron patch after embroidering.
This way the design will stay flat and will not feel rough on the skin. More labor intensive obviously, so it would have to be reflected on the price.
You can still apply an iron on patch to this... It will make it much more tolerable to wear.
..if i well understand, you mean that they used more than one sheet of stabilizer... this logo have to be 3by4cm ... maybe only one sheeet of stabilizer can be enought?
...do you mean that if we ironing it will be softer??.. do i get it correctly?
..thick tearaway???.. sorry im not so fluid in english..what is this?

·
Registered
103 Posts
We do not embroider on T-Shirts. Too unstable and often pucker when sewing and/or after washing. Doing multiple backings and overlays seems like overkill to me on a t-shirt and not worth the effort or the resulting price needed to cover the labor and materials - my opinion.
Upgrade to a polo shirt and I think your results will drastically improve. Soft stabilizer is much less noticeable on a quality polo, and the end result is much higher quality than a t-shirt.

·
Registered
248 Posts
to me, it looks like the tensions on the machine are off. the back looks loopy, and on the satin stitches (the tips of the wings and lettering), you should see about 1/3 top thread, 1/3 bobbin thread, 1/3 top thread. the only place i see bobbin thread at all is on the fill. 1 layer of a decent cut-away backing should be all you need. i would think that adding 3 layers of backing would make it super uncomfortable to wear. embroidery on a t-shirt shouldn't be a problem....especially a decent heavier T.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
We don't really like embroidery on tshirt material. for stabilizer tear away may work but the more stitches or larger the field the worse the sewing will come out. Kind of looks like someone elses trademark though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts