T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a very basic question and I am probably overlooking something (or two, three)....

Has anyone estimated what the the "fixed" costs involved in printing a design for a customer?

What I am referring too...

Lately, I have had a couple customers that are having "issues" understanding costs involved in generating their orders. That is, statement like "Hey, along with the 24 one color designs, can you run me two shirts in red instead of blue?" Or, I need 30 shirts with our logo and "STAFF" on the back and 5 shirts that have our logo and "SECURITY" on the back.

I am trying to guesstimate what the cost is for, basically, producing a screen. Not so much running it, that varies with quantity, ink, labor etc... but the costs for me to create a new screen from scratch... develop, prep, use it, clean it, reclaim it.

Also, what about a light color design on a dark garment... that would technically be two screens... underbase and production.

(I should point out, in my example above, the color change on the design... that too costs money with washout chemicals and prep time vs creating a separate screen).

Thanks

Pete

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I would do the words on the back in vinyl.
I figure $20 per screen.
I charge $10 per screen for color change.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I charge $30 per screen

I charge $10 for a color change

If the customer wants only 5 shirts with security on it I would price it like I would anything else....$30 screen fee

I would probably price transfers instead as well as screen printing.....and offer which ever is cheaper

If I ganged everything on one screen I would charge $30 for it but since there would be additional set up involved with each name I would charge according to the time it should take me to set it up.....I charge $1 a minute

If I'm printing light ink on a dark shirt I charge more per shirt, so white ink would be say $.50 more per shirt for a small run of 24 shirts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's sort of what I was thinking. I guestimate it is about $10-15 per screen in fixed costs and cleaning out a screen for color change (provided it doesn't blow out) is about $5.

It doesn't happen often, thank God, but periodically it does and want to make sure I don't go lopsided on my pricing. Of course, as was my most recent, my niece's Girl Scout troop.... gave my sister an almost cost price and got burned when it went from two screens to 6 AFTER they collected the money.

Live & learn....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I do... but wanted to make sure I am 100% covered. It's when they make changes, before a job, after a quote... that this info will make it easier to adjust it for them and requote.

·
Registered
372 Posts
always charge per color/location. If it can simply be taped off (like staff above a logo) thats up to you.
I've learned most people don't want to see what they are paying for. They don't care. They want to know how much "x" amount of shirts will cost. Everything else is mumbo jumbo to them. Most customers are aware of a screen charge. I wouldn't go lower then $15 on your screen. It takes time, they cost money, they break down over time or by mistake and after a while you only have so much space for them before they start taking over your shop. So for the most part figure your dark tees charge, color change charge into the printing price. On another note, some customers (retail for example) want to see every charge and the price of every style shirt. For the customers that don't know much and just want t-shirts, just give them a bill for t-shirts. Seeing so many different charges can be over whelming. kinda like my cellphone bill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts