T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have been looking into starting up a screen printing opperation. I have done my research and have e-mailed people who are veterans of the screen printing industry, i.e. Robert Jennings. He gave me some prices and for a small business with a 2 color press was about $2500 and for a 4 color press would be around $3000. Both include a flash dryer. Are these estimates correct? Are there things that i could do without for a startup?

Thanks so much for all the help you have me. This is an awesome site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To clearify, the price above includes the following: 2 or 4 color press(2 color - $1520 and 4 color - $1820), flash dryer($650), exposure unit(materials $50-75), and start up supplies($400).

·
Registered
985 Posts
This is an expensive business indeed.
To what you have mentioned you have to add software like photoshop and illustrator, printer for positives, (I assume you already have a decent computer).
I don't think in the package you got the price for includes an exposure unit.
There is a lot of things you have to consider.
BUT if you start little by little, I think it is possible.
At first your shop will look more like a hobbyist than a serious shop, but it is doable.
Good luck

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you want to avoid start up costs, try contract printing. You will do the artwork and sales work, and your local screen printer will print the shirts for you. This contract pricing is lower because you are providing your own blanks shirts and you will usually provide enough work to keep them busy.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
985 Posts
A flash dryer will not make you any money you will be standing there all day hoping that your shirts a cured get a real dryer
Well that is not really true. I used a flash dryer for several jobs until I got a "real dryer", which speed ups production. Many people here uses flash dryers for curing plastisol.
For someone just starting in a budget it is ok.
The first month I started screen printing I would cure inks with a heat gun !!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Did you really make alot of money with your flash unit?
Are you serious about making a LOT of money just for the fact of having a conveyor dryer? If so I could buy two more on my credit card.
I did say I have a conveyor dryer. But I doubt anyone trying to START might buy a dryer right from the beginning.
It speed up the process. Not doubt about it. And if you are serious about your business, you better get one as soon as you CAN.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Are you serious about making a LOT of money just for the fact of having a conveyor dryer? If so I could buy two more on my credit card.
I did say I have a conveyor dryer. But I doubt anyone trying to START might buy a dryer right from the beginning.
It speed up the process. Not doubt about it. And if you are serious about your business, you better get one as soon as you CAN.
Startup business's don't have the luxury of repeat clients and referrals. Spend your money wisely. I doubt if a conveyor dryer is necessary if you're printing a few dozen shirts at a time for your first few jobs. If you get a large order then yeah go ahead and purchase one on credit because you can cost justify it. The equipment doesn't make you lots of money. It's your sales abilities that make the money. The equipment just helps you to provide a better quality product faster.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Startup business's don't have the luxury of repeat clients and referrals. Spend your money wisely. I doubt if a conveyor dryer is necessary if you're printing a few dozen shirts at a time for your first few jobs. If you get a large order then yeah go ahead and purchase one on credit because you can cost justify it. The equipment doesn't make you lots of money. It's your sales abilities that make the money. The equipment just helps you to provide a better quality product faster.
Well as was being sarcastic..I didn't have a great day today.:)
If you read my previous posts in this thread there I said I used to use a heat gun to CURE t-shirts !!!
My first job (35 white t-shirt, one color, two side) was done with my flash dryer.
the last one (actually the third ) "big job" was done with my conveyor, and man what a difference.
A conveyor is just one more piece of equipment.
I am not making a living out of this. I am just playing with this, and getting ready to at some point leave my full time "truly" job and be my own boss.
And you are right, there is much more then equipment needed to making money.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've gotten some good advice and people telling me to buy this and that. I'm no expert but I've been doing this long enough to know that it's not the equipment that makes the business. The hardest part I've found is getting the business. I'm doing this part time and I've invested over $8000 and built alot of my equipment as well. I want a conveyor dryer but I can't cost justify it yet and yet being the operative word. Some people have the cash flow and others don't so we all try to realize our dream with what resources we have. I say power to the guy who builds all his equipment and cures his shirts in the oven. That's determination and I'm sure he/she will do well. Best of luck to anyone starting out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
If you want to avoid start up costs, try contract printing. You will do the artwork and sales work, and your local screen printer will print the shirts for you. This contract pricing is lower because you are providing your own blanks shirts and you will usually provide enough work to keep them busy.
How would I find out about screen printers in my area?

And about my operation, I'm not planning on going corporate any time. I plan to start small, and i don't think that many people get the idea of small. Maybe 500 shirts in the next 6 months. so that's just an idea of what the deal is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.