T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im running smaller orders of about 100 shirts. Just one color, sometimes front and back. I do a lot of my own design for my clients, and I know how to charge for design time. But so far... I have no idea how to calculate my costs for raw materials. I have basically been taking a stab in the dark and making a quote.

I am still working with the supplies I purchased as part of a kit. So I am not really sure how much ink I am using and emulsion and all that. I know that there are a lot of variables... but if any one has calculated it out... as I am sure someone has if you can just give me a ballpark figure I would at least have an idea.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
i think 100 shirts 1 color printing about $ 8 to $ 10 each.

you can always go cheaper.
But spending all your time making 25 cents profit per shirt is not a good idea. :)

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
this would be hard for someone to give you the info. Everyones overhead is dif.
Ink Brand = dif prices.
Emulsion depends if you purchase quarts, gallons or use film. Brand as well.
films, transparencies, toner, ink.

How long it takes you to print 100 T's goes into the equation as well.
Film for art.

You need to get a rough estimate. I know your wanting someone to give it to you , yet you cannot truely get a correct overhead rate by seeing what others are.
I have to make something around $4000-$6000 per week to stay in the plus at my shop.

www.impressionsmag.com has had many issues covering this subject. I would suggest trying to get a back copy. I rememberone not too long ago that had all the formulas (generic) that will get you your ballpark figure.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It has been my experience that it pays to keep it simple.. A long detailed list of charges, can be intimidating to many people.. A simple price per shirt, and any screen charges,is something they can do the mental math with without a calculator..and tends to lead to an order being placed on the spot.... another thing that works against you with a detialed list is this... the original price of the shirt may be 1.50 but by the time you add all the other charges its 6 or 7 dollars.... Instead of feeling like they have a nice shirt for only 6 or 7 dollars, they feel, subconciously, like you are asking them to invest 6 or 7 dollars in a 1.50 shirt...

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would suggest the book "how to print t-shirts for fun and profit" by scott fresener. This book has charts for pricing jobs and is an all around good tool for any screen printer

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Squirts said:
It has been my experience that it pays to keep it simple.. A long detailed list of charges, can be intimidating to many people.
You're totally right, but I think qnp9999 wants the detailed list to use themself (rather than for customers) so they can work out what flat rate they should be charging the customer without losing any money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Solmu said:
You're totally right, but I think qnp9999 wants the detailed list to use themself (rather than for customers) so they can work out what flat rate they should be charging the customer without losing any money.

Exactly, Thank you, and csquared

I would suggest the book "how to print t-shirts for fun and profit" by scott fresener. This book has charts for pricing jobs and is an all around good tool for any screen printer

Thanks I have heard this book being referenced all over the place, I suppose I will add it to my amazon wish list

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
If I'm reading their FAQ correctly the service seems extremely expensive?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts