T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried to cover a screenprinted t shirt screw up with a transfer? I sent an order for 31 shirts to my screenprinter, front and back deigns, but spelled one of the words wrong. It is the 1st word on the back and I could place the correct word on a transfer to fit right over it. Will the ink from the screenprint melt and/or do anything to my press. It would be a bummer to lose 31 shirts but it happens. Any thoughts on it?
Mary Kay

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
The ink shouldn't do anything much (it could crack, etc. but it shouldn't melt and run onto the platten for example), though I can't say I've tried it.

I wouldn't have thought the transfer would adhere very well over the top of the ink, and I imagine it would be extremely noticeable (the inks of the transfer and the screenprint are not going to be the same colour or texture).

How bad is the typo? Could you sell them off as a clearance item, or would that be too embarassing/cheapen your brand?

It's an interesting problem, but I'm having trouble coming up with a remotely helpful solution sorry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My customer has seen them and has rejected the order. It is on a royal blue tee with white lettering. I thought if I made the background of the replacement a different color then the new lettering it would cover the entire area so that you wouldn't see the letters under it. My big concern is creating a mess on the press. I've decided to redo the shirts, eat the cost and try to get more info on the situation. Maybe I can at least learn from the mistake. The order is for a group of Boyscouts and I don't think it would be good for them to be wearing shirts with a mispelled letter. Thank you for your input.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
marykay said:
My customer has seen them and has rejected the order.
Fair enough, that settles that.

marykay said:
The order is for a group of Boyscouts and I don't think it would be good for them to be wearing shirts with a mispelled letter.
Yeah, I definitely agree with you there. Personally I'm a stickler for that kind of thing, but I know that some customers don't care much (as evidenced by the fact that Threadless never apologised for misprinting Grass: Nutritional Information [or Infomation...], never put it on clearance, and most customers didn't seem to understand what the fuss was about) - if it was for a gaming shirt for example you may be able to still sell a few. For scouts that wouldn't be appropriate.

I guess now you have some test shirts to play with.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Sometimes when you mess up, you just have to eat the cost. I know if I was the customer, I'd want what I ordered.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
eat the cost, fix the order, then go and experiment with the screw ups. Get yourself a teflon sheet to protect the heatpress and try the heatpress fix. In the end he may just pick up the fixed shirts at a good discount if you can make them look good enough.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to everyone who responded to the screw up. I knew the right thing to do...just wanted to make sure there was no way around it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts